1/48 typhoon

goose

Which kit (car doors or bubble canopy, small or large tailplanes, three or four bladed propeller ...) do you have and which of 609 Sqn. plane's do you intent to depict? Beamont's R7752 is probably the best known, but there were plenty of other colourful Typhoons in this Squadron. Cheers

Jure

Well, if you can find Italeri kit's decals you can build PR-M MR131. Italeri incorrectly gives serial as MR130, but you can replace the last digit with another one from the same set. 609 Sqn Typhoons had been filmed on D-Day and stills from that movie (photo of MR131 included) had been published in 2nd TAF book, part one. The source is given as IWM FLM 1448. Also, if you have generic code letters and serials decals sheets you can put together markings for other Typhoons from this squadron, like PR-L, JR379 from IWM site. Cheers

Jure

large_000000.jpg

© IWM (CH 13345)

The serial of the PR-M on DDay began with MN not MR. I'm away from my records at present but from memory (hmmm) 130 is the correct number. Can check next Thursday ...

• Thanks 1

Sorry, guys, my mistake, it is MN and not MR. About the number ... in Classic publication it is given as 131 and in Warpaint it is 130. Chris, as you are one of co-authors of the former one and the sole author of the latter book, we are all eagerly awaiting your judgement. Cheers

Jure

Well, here as promised, is the answer to the PR-M c. D-Day conundrum. Once again my memory has let me down; PR-M was in fact MN131, Flt Lt 'Manu' Geerts' aircraft. This is confirmed by the 609 Sqn Ops Record Book which shows Geerts fying MN131 during this period.

So 'MN130' in the Typhoon Warpaint book was a typo; MN131 in 2ndTAF Vol 1 is correct.  Perhaps I ought to post out another Typo in the warpaint book - ZY-B of 247 Sqn on D-Day and while after, was MN317, not MN316. Which resulted in at least one set of incorrect decals.