Boeing 727, Iberia. 1/144 Airfix with 26Decals

Boeing 727-200. 1:144 Airfix kit.

26Decals Iberia 'Delivery scheme' sheet.

ib1.jpg

This is the venerable old Airfix kit that originally appeared as a 727-100 in the late 1960's, and the mould was modified in the early 80's to make it into the stretched -200 version. It's a bit clunky by today's standards, but can be made into an acceptable model.  Some mods I made were;

• Cut out the cockpit area and replaced it with a Daco clear cockpit section. It makes a big difference and is well worth doing.
  • Scratch built a basic cockpit, seats & instrument panel.
  • Reshaped the nose, as the kit has it a bit blunt.
  • Cut the wing fence off the trailing edge, and made new ones on the leading edge. Scribed the wings.
  • Scraped and sanded the hard line that runs back over the fin from the top of the engine intake. Removed it and blended the area smoother. 10 minute job, but again, it makes a noticeble difference.
  • Replaced the wheel with a set of  Brengun resin ones.

Paint is Halfords appliance white, Alclad, and Tamiya acrylics, all sprayed.

Hope you like it!

ib2.jpg

ib3.jpg

ib4.jpg

ib5.jpg

ib6.jpg

'With something else' could only be the Iberia DC-9, also an Airfix kit with 26Decals.

ib7.jpg

Some WIP photos. The cockpit area cut away:

ib8.jpg

Daco glazing trial fitted

ib9.jpg

Cockpit painted up, Milliput on the nose to help with reshaping.

ib10a.jpg

overall view. Note the 'hard line' running onto the fin from the centre engine top has not yet been scraped & sanded away.

ib11.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Classic kit and livery,really nice job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

Looking good John! You've certainly under-weathered this one though John, I remember 727s in this livery being really grubby!

You really are the master at making these old kits look so much better! I'm thinking about looking for my part finished Airfix 727s and completing them. So many 727 liveries on my list!

Did you use the laser printer 26 decal or the screen printed one?

Are the Brengun wheels much of an improvement?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks everyone, my quest for fitting Daco clear cockpit sections to Airfix airliners continues! I'm working on the 707 next, by my goodness, does it need a lot of shimming out to widen the forward fuselage.  the 737 needs a little bit of shimming, and this 727 actually needed reducing down as the front was too wide.

On 15/08/2018 at 13:07, Turbofan said:

Did you use the laser printer 26 decal or the screen printed one?

Are the Brengun wheels much of an improvement?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, they were the set with Laser main elements & Silk screen details. The Brengun wheels are worth having, the details on the hubs are much better on the main wheels, and I thin they have a better profile than the kit ones.

Cheers

John

37 minutes ago, Viking said:

Ian, they were the set with Laser main elements & Silk screen details.

Thanks John, the reason I asked is that I have the silk screened sheet and it appears to be missing one of the thin black lines bordering the red cheatline which yours has got. 

Ian

wow - that's a cracking 727 - the extra work and modifications you have put into this old lady of a kit certainly paid off - the nose and cockpit shape workings really puts the cherry on top of the cake there

smashing - good old Airfix and good old Boeing (not to mention your hard work there of course...)

Marvelous job on a kit that dates back quite a bit.

All the modifications have resulted in a superb replica.

Certainly a classic of the civil jet age!

:clap:

Edited by kapam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back for another look thanks to Sodadriver.  All pics are great but #5 does it for me.  There’s something about that swept back T tail that defines the look of speed on the 727 (and the VC-10).

Dennis