Korean War photo collection

72modeler

While searching for more 8th FBG photos, I found this collection of Korean War photos- mostly aircraft, but also ground personnel, airfields, and aircrew. Many I have never see before. The photos of the wrecked F4U-5NL belong to Lt. Guy "Lucky Pierre" Bordelon's Corsair. He was the only USN Korean war ace. His mount was named "Annie-Mo" after his wife, and was wrecked while being flown by another pilot. I think there are a lot of good modeling possibilities here. I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Mike

https://sandrermakoff.livejournal.com/641744.html

Edited by 72modeler
fixed link
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Mike, as Andy has said very few comments.

If I may? could I suggest it be moved to the Cold War section?

Paul

Paul- I have sent Mike a PM asking him  to move my post to the Cold War aircraft modeling section. Thanks for the suggestion- I never am quite sure sometimes where to put some of my posts, especially the ones that deal with photo collections. (Cold, windy moor, eh? It's going to be  104 F here today in sunny San Antonio!)

Cheers!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ahh, I see, straight to the head honcho! 👍

Photo's can be tricky. Many that come on here will never look at the photo section, me? I'm nosey! Glad I am, otherwise I'd miss out on a fair bit!

You could ask if it's possible to post in both sections, that way all the bases are covered.

He, he, yup! cold and windy North Yorkshire Moor, temperature here is currently around 20C +/- (68F) and just a mere zephr of wind, around 40 MPH.

We're hard up here! Got to be, we live in the UK!  Wet, Wind, Snow, Rain and Hail then the other extreme you cook! though not at 104F (40C)

Crank the AirCon up my friend,

Paul

• Haha 1

@Sabrejet, can you look at the photo of 48-217, which I think is a 4th FG F-86A-5, that is in the Korean War Photo Collection I posted in  Aviation Photography? Is that a strike camera fitted in the top of the intake? Looks like the radar ranging gunsight  unit has been removed and this camera has been fitted in its place; never seen this before. Also, it Looks like the 4th's first markings scheme, with the black/white stripes and the fin slash  having been removed and/or overpainted.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Mike,

48-217 was the proof-of-concept demonstrator for the first RF-86A photo recon version of the F-86A.  I've done a lot of research into these aircraft and there is a lot of incorrect info out there. This first machine was fitted with a single forward oblique (‘dicing’) K-22 camera with 24-inch cone, with the lens protruding through a hole in the upper intake lip (as shown in the photo), and with an exposed lens aperture. This installation was complemented by two K-24 cameras with 20-inch cones, installed aft of the nose gear and shooting vertically. Following conversion, 48-217 was marked "Honeybucket No.1" (an unkind reference to a portable toilet, presumably because the modified nose was rather untidy) and served with 15th Tac Recon Sqn from 28 November 1951 where it was more sympathetically named “Priss 8th” by Capt Clyde Voss on its port/LH side; the 'No.1' seems to have been erased from the stbd/RH side around this time.

Note that there is no evidence of a “Project Honeybucket”, despite what any number of articles seem to indicate: it would instead seem that the aircraft’s nickname was used as shorthand in official documents, rather than confusing matters by referring to it as “RF-86A No.1” etc. This machine was a FEAMCOM local conversion, whereas the Project Ashtray RF-86As were ARDC/AMC conversions: hence the Project nomenclature for the latter but not for 48-217.

There were six Ashtray RF–86As (48-183, 48–187, 48–195, 48–196, 48–246, and 48–257 - and again at variance with many articles, which contend that there were two Honeybucket-type RF-86As). The Ashtray versions received a K-22 nose oblique camera with 24-inch cone as installed on the Honeybucket, but the AMC conversion differed in having hydraulically-actuated clamshell doors which covered the lens when not in use. All Ashtray RF-86As also had a K-22 vertical camera with 36-inch cone, installed in the fuselage centre section aft of the nose-wheel bay, and with its axis horizontal in order to fit beneath the engine intake ducting. It used a 45-degree mirror to shoot a vertical image through a camera window in the underside of the fuselage on the right-hand side. 

Following preliminary tests, it was found that a 36-inch cone on the dicing camera would be more beneficial for photographing airfields north of the Yalu, while a 24-inch cone on the vertical K-22 would allow greater coverage for missions previously flown with the 36-inch cone. The swap was simple, with no modifications required for the aft camera and a simple adaptor used on the oblique in order to move the camera body aft by approximately 12 inches.

The Honeybucket RF-86A (48-217) was not a lucky machine: it was badly damaged by ground fire over North Korea on 19 February 1952 and required repair with 6400th Air Depot Wing. It did not return to 15th TRS until 10 April 1952. Sadly it was lost after being hit by ground fire on 27 June 1952; pilot Maj Jack Williams (15th TRS CO) was killed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Sadly it was lost after being hit by ground fire on 27 June 1952; pilot Maj Jack Williams (15th TRS CO) was killed.

So, does this mean the aircraft was used mostly for low-level photography? Thanks for the education regarding RF-86's- I never expected such a detailed response- you are da (Sabre) man!

Mike

Yes - lower levels down to circa 6,000ft for the verticals but altitudes varied somewhat depending on coverage required. The nose oblique camera was less critical. But these aircraft, along with Ashtray RF-86Fs, weren't very capable and their speed was their main advantage. Later Haymaker RF-86Fs were of more use, and converted in larger numbers.

48-217 was incidentally one of the first F-86As in Korea: it served with 4th FGp in the 'States from August 1949 (334th FS) and flew with the same unit in Korea from 18 December 1950 prior to conversion to a recce bird.

• Like 2

Colossal photos! When I was just a lad I had a book from the library on almost permanent loan, I think it was called "Air war over Korea", ever since I found that book I have been interested in the aircraft and the men who flew them in that conflict. It`s made my saturday!

Granto 

Hello Mike,

You made my day with this posting. What a quality pictures.

It shows clearly the conditions of operations at the time.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Great photos! I've seen the pic of Chappie James numerous times, and it has always intrigued me. It must be the only 'shark-mouth' P-51 in Korea that isn't smiling. And what's with that "eye" behind the exhaust? The red and yellow spinner is also unusual. Does anyone have any info on the rest of his aircraft's markings?

Bob

James.jpg

Bob,

I went through every reference book I have on Korean War Mustangs (Take my word for it when I say I think I have just about every one printed!) and I could not find any photo or text reference with the serial number and/or other markings for Chappie's P-51. Every photo of his Mustang in every book I examined has  this same photo. I could post a query to one of the members of the P-51 Mustang SIG, of which I am a member, to see if one of them knows, but I'm betting if the serial of this P-51D was known, it would have been published by now. Best I could do- sorry. Maybe one of our resident BM'ers can help you.

Mike