A Solution to the Sherman? I doubt it. The Type 3 Chi-Nu

This is the IBG 1/72 kit that took a couple of days to finish with some rather large crew figures by Germania Figuren. It was Japan's attempt to square up the M4 Sherman that was completely outclassing other Japanese tanks such as the Chi-Ha. An old French-designed WWI 75mm gun and 50mm of armour made the intent rather doubtful. This model represents a tank on the home front that never got to find out.

file.php?id=11501

file.php?id=11502

file.php?id=11503

file.php?id=11504

file.php?id=11506&t=1

• Like 15

HI,

interesting build indeed !!

About the "old wwI 75mm gun", remember that the M1897A4 version was used on USMC SPM's in the Pacific and that it was also the base for the development of the M2 gun mounted on Shermans.

Regards, E

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etienne said:

HI,

interesting build indeed !!

About the "old wwI 75mm gun", remember that the M1897A4 version was used on USMC SPM's in the Pacific and that it was also the base for the development of the M2 gun mounted on Shermans.

Regards, E

Thanks Etienne,

I didn't know that. I fund this on the Tank Encyclopedia website:

The main gun itself was a stopgap weapon, derived from Type 95 field artillery gun, itself derived from the French Schneider 75 mm (2.95 in) field gun of WW1 fame. It was adapted as the Type 90 and, due to the short life of its barrel, was modified to have a lower muzzle velocity.  It was characterized by its two muzzle brakes. The gun elevation was -10 +25 degrees and had a muzzle velocity of 680 m/s (2,200 ft/s). It could defeat 90 mm (3.5 in) of armor at 100 m (110 yd) and 65 (2.56 in) at 1000 m (1100 yd). This armament was completed by a hull-mounted 7.7 mm (0.3 in) Type 97 machine gun.

6 hours ago, Kiwikitbasher said:

Thanks Etienne,

I didn't know that. I fund this on the Tank Encyclopedia website:

The main gun itself was a stopgap weapon, derived from Type 95 field artillery gun, itself derived from the French Schneider 75 mm (2.95 in) field gun of WW1 fame. It was adapted as the Type 90 and, due to the short life of its barrel, was modified to have a lower muzzle velocity.  It was characterized by its two muzzle brakes. The gun elevation was -10 +25 degrees and had a muzzle velocity of 680 m/s (2,200 ft/s). It could defeat 90 mm (3.5 in) of armor at 100 m (110 yd) and 65 (2.56 in) at 1000 m (1100 yd). This armament was completed by a hull-mounted 7.7 mm (0.3 in) Type 97 machine gun.

I made some research about that ... seems that the japanese 75mm gun was not derived from the french 75mm 1897 model gun, nor from the french Schneider 75mm 1912 model, that was inferior to the 1897 model by the way.

In fact, it was inspired by the Schneider 85mm gun 1927 model in the 1930s.

E

• Like 1