Stirling rear undercarriage - what's out there?

woody37

Hi guys,

I need to build the rear gear on the 48 scale Stirling and wondering if there's anything main stream that's similar in wheel size and leg assembly that I could get hold of? It would save some scratch building if so,

Thanks

It's a double wheel at the rear isn't Neil?  One of the rear gunners I knew, now sadly passed, recounted how one of his jobs at HCU was to keep an eye from his turret on the alignment of the tail wheel to avoid shimmy problems and whilst leaning out one day he actually fell out!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ossington said:

According to the AP, (AP1660A&B) tailwheel track was 23.5 ins. Tyres Dunlop 10X5.25 ins, 50 psi.

Do you think Hurricane (or similar) tailwheel legs would do?

https://imgur.com/a/8gxdiJl 

2 hours ago, galgos said:

It's a double wheel at the rear isn't Neil?  One of the rear gunners I knew, now sadly passed, recounted how one of his jobs at HCU was to keep an eye from his turret on the alignment of the tail wheel to avoid shimmy problems and whilst leaning out one day he actually fell out!

Yes, it’s a double unit. How did he see the tail wheels, was there a clear panel underneath?

cheers

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

A Beaufighter tailwheel assembly (x2) is nearer what you need :)

Now that’s interesting, I need to get some parts from a Beaufighter so this would add to the bits,

thanks

56 minutes ago, galgos said:

He rotated his turret and hung out the door to make sure the wheels were aligned correctly!  Sounds damned dangerous to me.

Max

My god, if that was the less risky option on landing, attacking the enemy was only part of the fear for tail end Charlie!