Scimitar the First - Choroszy 1/72 resin

Patrik

More on the biplane-in-making theme below. I had to shorten the rear legs of the N interplane struts in order to maintain correct upper wing incidence angle, otherwise all the struts fitted surprisingly well for a resin kit, and they even matched very well my modifications of the wing dihedral, described earlier in this thread. I also modified the central section struts to a certain degree, though this modification was more on the cosmetic side. One of the central section struts snapped during the cleaning operations, the reason was an air bubble hidden inside the strut that weakened its structure quite significantly.

A bit off-topic question for someone gifted in chemistry. I toppled small bottle of cyanoacrylate glue (while placing the central section struts this morning), and quite a few of it spilled over my working surface . Swearing loudly, I started wiping it with a piece of cloth, when suddenly an acrid smoke developed and I also felt brief but intensive heat through the cloth. Never happened to me before. Because the engineer in me does not like such kind mysteries, does someone have an idea what happened? I do not believe that loud swearing - though on Christmas Eve - could have had this kind of effect.😉

20181224-DSC-0136.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Looking very tasty Patrik. I like the extra detailing and corrections. I'm no chemist (i'm sure someone can offer a more detailed explanation) but cyano is autothermal so it generates heat when it cures. If the cloth you used was damp or contained any moisture then this possibly accelerated the curing process. If it is a large spillage then it can get quite hot as you experienced. I suspect the swearing had little to do with it 😉 Happy Christmas

• Like 1

A bit of colour to show.

I decided I paint the Norwegian markings - at least partly. The red on the original kit decals may be passable, however the blue is ways off, and the stripe's proportions did not impress me either when compared with the references. Moreover, I was not exactly attracted by the idea of battling the (from my previous experience) rather thin and brittle Choroszy decals over the curved surfaces. So it is white and red masked and painted, blue will come from the Extradecal sheet.

On the picture the lower wings and rudder have been unmasked already, with not more than usual amount of unmasking surprises, while the upper wing gets one more coat, as I have not been satisfied with the red still.

20181229-DSC-0144.jpg

20181229-DSC-0159.jpg

• Like 3

Olive green painted and unmasked. Looks almost completed. However, still some detailing and quite a few corrections are necessary, especially along the national markings.

20190106-DSC-0185.jpg

20190106-DSC-0192.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 9

I think that because you spread the super Glue very thinly over the surface and some was very quickly absorbed into the cloth the whole lot went exothermic very rapidly.

This is a great favourite of mine and it was going to be my sons next 'New Types Park' model and I still have the patterns. I also have most of a Penguin one.

John

• 2 weeks later...