1/60 Halcyon Alien Space Jockey

Hi guys, not built a vinyl kit for a while so I decided I would have a go at this old Halcyon kit. I am planning on building the kit into a cave scene diorama as it looked in the movie and I hope to add lighting to the figures helmets. The plan is to try and capture the creepy classic Alien scene.

lHkBAOk.jpg
vAFXdtX.jpg
iJnEoiI.jpg
6tOF85P.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Hi all, here is a progress update on my Space Jockey build. In order to give the model a sense of scale, I decided to add the background as it was depicted in the movie. So I was going to try my hand at mold making and resin casting and this was going to be a first attempt at using these products. I used air drying clay to sculpt out the parts, then I coated it with a thin layer of fiberglass resin to lock in all the small details I added. The pictures will show the progress so far and I hope to update you all in the next week or so.

pXwpFIC.jpg
bSC1ATa.jpg
zBQILIo.jpg
eJEW7BU.jpg
P9jRcjN.jpg
S8oQeId.jpg
9C66c8C.jpg
UQ4PbyM.jpg
rS5R17H.jpg
KW9Dw4C.jpg
YcqSpja.jpg
72MuNwr.jpg
wokqSy5.jpg
aOPUHir.jpg
19rnatw.jpg
EmINrOU.jpg
T7r3eTU.jpg
Ss6AOiy.jpg
grjGU6U.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Just epic so far!!

Loving your diorama set up too....would that be Kane lit up there exploring the Space Jockey?

Cant wait to see the end result too :)

Dallas is inspecting the Space Jockey, Kane is checking out the melted hole in the floor, which he gets lowered into and finds the egg chamber, guessing you know the rest LOL!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum and glad I found it as I'm picking up all kinds of tips and tricks. I've built model kits all my life pretty much and apart from larger projects for around the home, have never scratch built.

I bought on ebay around 20 years ago the Halcyon space jockey and since then it has just sat in one part of the home or another and then I decided to sell it. Then I looked at it. Then I decided that I would give painting it a go as  the original paint job wasn't that great. I dabbled with various techniques including rubbing graphite into parts to get a great metal finish but didn't complete the painting process as I was working on another project with a model kit of the Apollo 11 Lunar Lander (that's another story) and when I returned to the Space Jockey I thought that it might be a cool idea to do the whole scene

I googled the 'Space Jockey' to see if there were any diorama models out there and then came across Lee's and thought thats what I'm talking about. Then I signed up.

I'm still currently working on the scene and it's taken a good few months so far and a lot of money for the materials as I'm sure you all know. Found a good source for the resin and silicone supplies in Ireland though.

I've worked the back wall and cast it and currently working on cleaning and finishing the end pylon to mould then cast then add a few embellishments of my own at some stage but hit a snag with the original Halcyon model in that the base isn't large enough as it appears in the production photos so I'm going to have to re-create the base so that it sits where it should within the whole thing. I still need to figure out how to do the astronauts too but I go slow in order for any snags to appear before its too late. I'm still looking for a cold cast clear resin that will set quickly so that I can potentially slush mold the helmets in order to do what I plan with regards to the heads of the characters.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers.

Brian.

• Like 1