Tube sizes

Mark99

I’ve been reading around the posts, but I can’t see the answer to my query. I want to try using some of Albion Alloys tubing for replacing gun barrels, but they obviously come in different sizes and I don’t know what to get. I’m sure there’s a simple way of working it out, but I’m dyscalculaic (number dyslexic) and I just cannot understand how I would convert it, e.g. a 1/48 aircraft gun barrel, does that equate to a 1mm tube for example? I appreciate that it may not be an exact science, but ideally there exists a simple table to guide me in the right direction. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Mark

I try not to overthink things like this, and use the TLAR (that looks about right) method of measuring. Either a simple optical size for size comparison to the plastic bit, or a 'measured' one done using cheap vernier calipers to match diameters. Either way works, and you won't get a perfect match unless you start oversize and turn tube down on a lathe - ain't no one got time fo dat!

If you really must have it 'right', there's a pile of turned brass and aluminium barrels as well as resin bits available, but... how crazy do you want to get?

TLAR. It's the way to go. :)

Edit. I have the variety pack of brass tubing (SFT1- .4, .6, .8, 1.0mm) and find that it does most of what I need.

I use brass tube for my gun barrels although I think they are slightly over scale. Basically if you find out the outside diameter

of the full size machine gun barrel or blast tube and divide that by the scale of the model.  To complicate matters you might need to convert the gun diameter from imperial to metric.

eg.  Blast tube = 2 inches in diameter.

1 inch = 25.4 mm so 2 inches = 25.4 x 2 = 50.8 mm.  A full size blast tube = 50.8 mm

1/48 scale for 50.8mm = 50.8/48 = 1.08 mm.  so you need tube about 1mm O/D....

Hope that helps..

I also use brass tube for 1/48 gun barrels and I find that 0.5mm & 1mm is what I use the most of. That covers about 90% of the gun barrels I need. Albion alloys do rage of 'slide fit' tubes that work well for things like pitot tubes (again 0.5mm & 1mm cover about 90% of those).

As to converting the sizes, I do exactly what @Rob G says, I compare the tube to the kit part and think TLAR.

If you are new to using micro metal tube, cut it with an scalpel blade – roll it under the blade making sure you keep it straight. Don't listen to those who say you need to use a new blade for this – an old blade will do fine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies, really great. I am quite happy with a TLAR approach, just wasn’t sure what sizes to order.

I didn’t think of measuring kit parts for a guide 🤪

Obvious  really!

Cheers for the info, really helpful

Mark

• Like 1