Single seat Il-2 just been raised from Russian lake

Troy Smith

Yes, I've just seen about this Troy! Thank you for posting these links! Except for the rotted-out wooden fuselage, the aircraft appears to be in good shape, with even the glass in the canopy remaining. Those cold-water lakes in Northern Russia keep giving - who knows what else is out there? An Il-4, a Pe-2, a Tu-2?

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

As much as I prefer the two-seaters, it will be nice to have a single-seater Il-2 flying again.

There was a single-seater that was recovered from a lake near Murmansk that I believe is being restored to flyable status. It was in much the same condition this one is - complete except for the rotted-away wooden rear fuselage.

Regards,

Jason

6 minutes ago, occa said:

That rich medium blue shade, is this the early underside colour ?

Il-2-Sturmovik-Found-in-Russia_-Horizzon

No, sky reflection,   but what is interesting is the white stripes,  I'd not spotted that, @Learstang  may have something to say, as I noted what looked like a white panel on the wing, but just wondered if it was gun panel that was made of a different material... perhaps not

note the wing is standard AMT-4 Green and AMT-6 black otherwise

Il-2-Sturmovik-Found-in-Russia_Left-wing

Those stabilisers are interesting; that does look like white paint. The Soviets did use white and other colour stripes for quick identification purposes, but you normally see these on the wings, the fuselage, and/or the fin/rudder. However, those stabiliser 'stripes' do seem to follow the panel lines, and on one of the stripes, the bluish colour is superimposed on the whitish colour. That does appear to be the underside of the tail planes, as I don't see any (much?) evidence of the elevator trim tab linkages, which were on the top (although maybe on the nearest elevator there is a hint of the linkage?). I'd like to find photographs of the entire recovered aircraft - I'm sure those will appear soon, if they haven't already.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Those stabilisers are interesting; that does look like white paint. The Soviets did use white and other colour stripes for quick identification purposes, but you normally see these on the wings, the fuselage, and/or the fin/rudder. However, those stabiliser 'stripes' do seem to follow the panel lines, and on one of the stripes, the bluish colour is superimposed on the whitish colour. That does appear to be the underside of the tail planes, as I don't see any (much?) evidence of the elevator trim tab linkages, which were on the top (although maybe on the nearest elevator there is a hint of the linkage?). I'd like to find photographs of the entire recovered aircraft - I'm sure those will appear soon, if they haven't already.

Regards,

Jason

You beat me to it, I just wanted to say that

I was caught in looking at pictures to confirm it must show the undersides indeed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, occa said:

You beat me to it, I just wanted to say that

I was caught in looking at pictures to confirm it must show the undersides indeed.

Nothing is ever easy. I've looked at another photograph of the horizontal tail planes on the Warbirds site and I think I can see evidence of the linkages. Also, there appears to be green and black paint on the surface. That bluish tint may just be a reflection of the sky off the wet black paint. Look at the fabric of the nearest elevator - that looks greenish to me. So now it appears to me that this may be the topsides of the tail planes. But give me another five minutes, and I may change my mind again!

Regards,

Jason 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Nothing is ever easy. I've looked at another photograph of the horizontal tail planes on the Warbirds site and I think I can see evidence of the linkages. Also, there appears to be green and black paint on the surface. That bluish tint may just be a reflection of the sky off the wet black paint. Look at the fabric of the nearest elevator - that looks greenish to me. So now it appears to me that this may be the topsides of the tail planes. But give me another five minutes, and I may change my mind again!

Regards,

Jason 

Yeah obviously lol ...

Almost the moment your post appeared I've discovered the actuator rod too, at least on the port side ...

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

Hi, 

I would try to contact some of those that recovered the plane. I'm sure that they will post something on Russian forums. Once the plane is washed and closely examined, it is certainly possible to distinguish something of the colors, in particular if the light things on the stabilizers are white paint or unpainted metal. 

Another thing: single-seat Il-2s with metal wings should have balance weights protruding from the wing tips, but the left wing of this plne doesn't show it. I think that it was lost in the crash, but it would be interesting to check the other wing too. 

Regards

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 3:41 AM, Learstang said:

There was a single-seater that was recovered from a lake near Murmansk that I believe is being restored to flyable status. It was in much the same condition this one is - complete except for the rotted-away wooden rear fuselage.

Regards,

Jason

So this example is the second single-seater recovered for an airworthy restoration?

a bit more on the history of this a/c

«Штурмовик командира 3-й эскадрильи 46-го ШАП СФ капитана А.И. Каличева был подбит 22.08.1943 при штурмовке вражеского аэродрома Луостари в Мурманской области. Несмотря на повреждения, лётчик продолжил штурмовку, а затем смог вернуться на свою территорию и посадить самолёт на поверхность озера», —

The gist is: The aircraft was a mount of the CO of the 3rd Sq., 46 ShAP (Ground Atack Regiment) - Captain A.I. Kalinichev. This aircraft was damaged during an attack on Loustari airfield, but despite it Cpt. Kalinichev continued the attack and then returned to the friendly territory and crash landed the Il-2 on the lake's surface. Captain Kalinichev survived the war and served in the VVS until 1955. His photo and a few more interesting pictures of this wreck (including cockpit interior) are here (text in Russian)

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/iskatel/shturmovik-il2-75-let-na-dne-ozera-i-snova-v-polet-5b6d25eea121fd00ab33e6ee

• Like 2

7 hours ago, k5054nz said:

So this example is the second single-seater recovered for an airworthy restoration?

It is indeed, Zac. I don't know much about the earlier single-seater, but I believe it may be being restored by the same outfit (Wings of Victory Foundation) that restored the straight-winged two-seater which was pulled from a Murmansk lake in much the same condition as this aeroplane. I do know that at one time an original single-seater (the 'single-seater' at Victory Park in Moscow is a modern conversion of a two-seater) was being restored in Saint Petersburg. However, this organisation (Wings of Victory) is based in Novosibirsk, in Siberia. I 'misspoke' earlier - the single-seater I referred to being recovered from the Murmansk lake was the two-seater that was restored to flying condition.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1