1/32 Matchbox Sea Venom

hi all,

I've just finished this for a friend and i must admit that i was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the kit considering it's age and reputation. The detail is a bit clunky but by adding resin seats (more parts in them than the whole plane!) and improving the cockpit with dial decals and scrap plastic details, i'm really please with the end result. The undercarriage also got a few embellishments to make it more interesting. Decals are from Berna, which went on okay but were slightly out of register meaning a bit of tricky touch-up painting.

I'd recommend it to anyone as a fun build

Andy

Sea_Venom_1.jpg

Sea_Venom_2.jpg

Sea_Venom_3.jpg

Sea_Venom_4.jpg

Sea_Venom_5.jpg

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 70
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Nice Sea Venom Andy - it does hold up well for an old kit - who makes those ejection seats? -  they really set off the cockpit

CJP

The seats are from Aires.

The Martin Baker website said mk4, so that's what i used. I'm not entirely sure they are perfectly right but they look a darn sight better than the kit ones. As you said, they are a focal point for the whole plane and when combined with the instruments and other details, it looks great though i say so myself. Credit must go to the East Midlands Aeropark who were kind enough to let me get some shots of their cockpit interior- thanks guys.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments. It really wasn't that bad to do and as the real plane is also very basic, there isn't too much to add anyway. Seats are the biggest and only really necessary improvement

Andy

You have done a fine job on a model not seen that often , as others have said before me  the seats are a vast improvement on the kit items,

couple this with other improvements you have made together with a great paint job and decals and you have created a thing of beauty

Well done Andy 10 /10 :goodjob:

Thanks again guys.

It was released in the early 80's Redstaff and Revell have re-boxed it much more recently. If you want a go, the Revell version is the one to get as it is in single colour plastic and has great decals, not curly brown ones!

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

Fantastic result Andy you should be justly proud. Have one of the Matchbox originals in my stash that my brother bought for me decades ago! Always surprised no one made a PE set for it although Flightpath did consider one once I believe.

mike