Metallics by brush

kitman

While this may be unhelpful as it isnt technically readily available.. Nothing beats pre hornby era tins of humbrol enamel 11 or 191 IMHO

I'd suggest ebay as i have seen multiple auctions with 50ml tins of the stuff going for a pittance !

Cheers! 

Hello kitman and, as this appears to be one of your first posts, welcome to the forum.

I'm a brush painter and  use Tamiya's acrylic Flat Aluminium and Chrome Silver or the Humbrol enamel Metalcote range and always use a base coat of Humbrol enamel before applying either.

For undercarriage legs, I usually use Tamiya Flat Aluminium with Chrome Silver for the slidey bits (unless it's a Spitfire... when I paint the legs in the underside colour).

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.

43 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

The metallic paste stuff...

AK True Metal paste. I love it!

I've found it great for variable bare metal finishes, smooth finishes (when airbrushed) and you can scrub it around until you get the finish you're after and burnish it to a shine if required.

True, if you apply it too thickly, it takes ages to dry BUT it's much better if you dip the brush in some white spirit first and make sure it's not too thick.

I think the problem occurs if the waxy base doesn't get a chance to 'flash off'.

This was done with a mix of Dark Aluminium and Aluminium:

41855058405_26fdfa2f12_z.jpg

41855058805_8abcf6275b_z.jpg

Seems a bit expensive but it lasts for ages - you only use a little at a time.

HTH

• Like 1

My metallic of choice is Mr Metal Color by GSI Creos (which is essentially Gunze Sangyo).  It's easy to brush on, even without priming, though two coats are generally advisable.  And if you leave it five minutes you can buff it til it gleams, especially Stainless.  There are several colours in the range but the ones I find most useful are Stainless (good for anything between bright steel and aluminium), Dark Iron (good for gunmetal and deep steel shades) and Alminume* (very good for polished surfaces like oleo struts).  Having said that, if I need large-scale coverage it's out with the car paints, and using the Mr Metal to highlight individual panels.

* Japlish - pretty sure they mean aluminium