Best Hurricane Ml.1 1/48

Oberleutnant

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Looking at the first two photos Troy has posted the effect is less than elsewhere but still there. The Airfix kit is smooth as it is (correctly) at the front end. However it is a minor irritation compared to other things and I'm with Troy in that it can best be sorted at the painting stage.

About the differences the smooth panels should look darker than the rougher fabric surface. In the same way gloss varnish darkens a colour. Subtle will be the watchword.

I suggest you go and look at a Hurricane in real life. There is no difference in texture, i.e. smoothness. There may, as Troy says, be a minor difference in colour on some aircraft, but that's not texture.

3 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I suggest you go and look at a Hurricane in real life. There is no difference in texture, i.e. smoothness. There may, as Troy says, be a minor difference in colour on some aircraft, but that's not texture.

I've seen plenty of Hurricanes up close in various states of dress. I'm not photographer though, as soon as I get the OK I'll show you what is flat and smooth and the fabric bits that are different.

In fact look here the bits that reflect the light and the rest that doesn't, especially obvious with the grey on the cowl compared to the area above the roundel. I believe this was the first flight after the repaint and rebuild. It was certainly sprayed in the same colour. 

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Easily seen if you look at the bottom edge.

An oft missed Hurricane detail, is that there is quite a sharp bend in of the fuselage, under the tailplanes, so usually lost in shadow,  or do you mean something else?

hurr1-10.jpg

sh25.jpg

Sea%2520Hurricane-005.JPG&key=a3fbc92181

sh16.jpg&key=0a824a1be374ffe061642b1f86f

Sea Hurricane pics from here

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was referring to Troy. The kit seems much too angular almost matching the tailplane line at their roots. Shortening the fuselage here makes it much worse. I can best describe it as a join line rather than a change in angle.

My printer/scanner has thrown a tantrum so I can't put up my latest image; I modified your cutting line slightly taking it up vertically to the base of the fin proper after following the edge of the tailplane fairing. Two reasons; first it lets the fin sit a little lower relative to the fuselage and lines up beautifully, then there's the fact that the metal fairing pieces are missing on the starboard side. I've been developing a pattern to use 5thou or foil to reproduce it properly. The Frog offering I'm doing in the Frog Squad GB makes a much better effort at this area.

I assume you already know of the treasure trove HERE?  

I asked a similar question here recently when I was looking for a MK1 BoB Hurricane, all feedback pointed me to the Airfix 1/48 Tropical Hurricane as it has MK1 parts too, the MK1 instruction sheet for the few differences I managed to download from Airfix's own site as a .pdf and an appropriate BoB decal sheet came from Hannants ... think I bought my Tropical Hurricane from Hannants too, though they seem plentiful on Ebay.

This reminds me ... I need to grab an Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane too soon, by all feedback I've read, Airfix is best bet for Hurricanes just now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, One 48 said:

This reminds me ... I need to grab an Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane too soon, by all feedback I've read, Airfix is best bet for Hurricanes just now.

As others will confirm it is the best in 1/48 but by no means perfect. Be careful not to get ANY paint on the mating edges though or your pre-painted bits might not fit. This applies to most of their newer stuff actually. Have a look at Basilisks thread HERE it's a great help.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

As others will confirm it is the best in 1/48 but by no means perfect. Be careful not to get ANY paint on the mating edges though or your pre-painted bits might not fit. This applies to most of their newer stuff actually. Have a look at Basilisks thread HERE it's a great help.

Thanks, just read Basilisks build thread from start to finish, wow, what a stunning build, will use this as a guide for my Hurricane, my skills do not match his, but will try to do some of the easier mods he did within my skill set, the build is a good reference for best add-ons to buy too, the exhaust and the IP I will definitely get.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, One 48 said:

my skills do not match his, but will try to do some of the easier mods he did within my skill set,

As with many things take it easy and master the basics, then you can try different techniques. As time passes there'll be more to a new idea that you already know. The IPs are cheap and save a lot of tedious work in 1/48 if you only do one thing extra that'd be my suggestion.

Have fun and don't be scared of asking for advice and comments Mike and the Minions jump very hard on any disturbing the pleasant realm that is BritModeller. My main interest is 1/48 AFVs but these wingy things are quite interesting...

• Like 1

I have built the Monogram, Ark, Italeri and Hasegawa kit, and have the Classic Airframes and Airfix kits on the 'to do' pile. Do yourself a favor and eliminate the Monogram and Ark kits right off the bat. In my opinion, of the four remaining, the Classics kit is forth (do to it's simplified detail, and skill required on a short run kit). The Italeri is a distant third (do to its poor fit and thin plastic prone to warping). The Hasegawa kit is beautiful, and builds like a dream, but is expensive and (apparently) has some shape issues. The Airfix looks (as I have not built it yet) to be the best of the lot. All can result in a fine model, but some require more work than others.

1 minute ago, Tail-Dragon said:

The Hasegawa kit is beautiful, and builds like a dream, but is expensive and (apparently) has some shape issues.

But easier to fix than the Airfix, maybe.   The Airifx problems are a sod to fix, the lack of fuselage flare out, means redoing all the fasteners. the separate ailerons mean thinning the wing becomes hard.

The biggest (as in PITA to fix)  problem with the Hase kit, is the fabric.  I have one I got to a reasonable state, but I don't know I'd want to keep repeating the exercise and the blinkin' seam in the fabric underneath.  the underfuselage is a bit off too, but you can ge the Airfix underfuselage to fit quite easily,  which is a good fix.

the other issues are easier to fix, wing tips,(too bulged, scrape and sand flat) upper cowl line(too flat, bend the plastic up from the centre, and shim, easy fix) , wheel hubs. (too small, drill out, use leftover eduard Spitfire hubs)

And Hase did the Mk.II

From a less obsessed builders perspective,  both the Hase and Airfix make in pretty decent models with a few tweaks.

The actual simple builder solution for accuracy is a new resin fuselage, which could probably be done to use on both the Airfix and Hase kits using the same one I think.

Yes, I have made inquiries as to the costs and logistics.  Might be worth doing a Mk.II fuselage anyway..  

There are rumours Eduard are looking at the Hurricane family at some point. ....

One thing to consider is the recent comment by the Eduard owner in his August update, regarding a possible (likely?) Hurricane that may be on its way.  Given my recent experience with Eduard kits (just completed a Spitfire Mk. VIII, and I just got 2 of the brand new P-51D, and have one more Spitfire and a Tempest Series II,) and they all appear to be outstanding.  I hope the reference made to a new Hurricane turns out to be true, and soon.  If so, my guess is that that will be THE outstanding Hurricane kit, but unsure whether it will be a Mk. I.  My guess is that it probably will be, given that this Mk. was the one (if I'm not mistaken) that participated in the Battle of Britain.  Keeping my fingers crossed for any Mark, though!

Edited by Curt B

13 hours ago, Curt B said:

My guess is that it probably will be, given that this Mk. was the one (if I'm not mistaken) that participated in the Battle of Britain. 

There were a handful of Hurricane II in the later part of the B of B. But Eduard has shown itself to have other reasons to choose subjects: their Spitfire IX, VII, XVI series has been out for years, and they have not yet produced a Battle of Britain Spitfire.