Hasegawa Mini Cooper 'S' Countryman All 4 WRX

The kit....................

photo-th.jpg

The inspiration..........

photo-th.jpg

The outcome with a roll cage from bits and a brass Kirkey seat, padded...............

photo1-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

The finish...................

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 16

Thanks Windy37, yes I think it was a scooby wing but just one that was in my 6 shoe box stock of spares.

• 1 month later...

Love what you've done here - clever use of a (mostly) NASCAR cage and a road-going kit.

I suspect the Kirkey seat is from Dirtmodeller.com.  Correct?  It looks great.

Where did you get the decals?  It's a very cool scheme.

Unfortunately the new-generation Mini did not seem to last long in WRC competition.  Don't know why. 🤔

:goodjob:

Thanks again kapam. Yes the Kirkey seat is from Dirtmodeller, and very nice it is too. then padded with bicycle fabric handlebar tape. Most of the decals are home printed plus one sheet of Monster Energy ones.

No the WRC Mini was too heavy and although built by Prodrive near here(Subaru/Colin Mcrae etc) it wasn't as competitive as the rest of the turbo 4X4 cars.

Maybe if BMW had took the WRC more seriously they would have used the Mini hatchback not a soft roader as the base rally car . Prodrive did all they could , but it seemed to me rallying was too dirty for BMW 's image . To pull the plug on the programme like they did , well they never gave themselves a chance . 

Gary . 

Your right Gary. Motorsport in Rallcross that I've supported from when it started and WRC as a marshall on local, national and international events is a long process of development. As you say BMW expected results in the second season, that's just not achievable. We also see this in F1 with BMW, they take over the Sauber team, keeping the owner Peter Sauber in charge and after three mediocre years they pull out because they haven't won the championship. They put into it one of the smallest budgets and expected the earth. The problem with any major car  manufacturer getting involved they see motor racing as a one-off payment and instant success. But the red tape to raise extra funds and the manufacturer end has to go through so many committee's to release funds , that takes weeks if not month's when the team need the money immediately to make improvements at all stages.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for a slow response , Pat . I was at Rally GB at the weekend and I had the same thoughts about Fords commitment to the WRC as I did about BMW s . Instead of spending a bit to keep Sebastian Ogier at M Sport , they have forced him to return to Citroen , a team with a slower car than the Fiesta . What did the old saying go .. Win on Sunday , sell on Monday . Not in Fords eyes anymore obviously . Look what M Sport did last year , and this ,  with a budget much smaller than their factory rivals . 

Gary . 

Well Gary I would have liked to have been there but it's a long way away. Seb thought that the Fiesta wasn't strong and fast enough for him, that's why he's struggled this year. Citroen are a funny lot though, firstly letting Loeb go and sacking Meeke for being 'too fast', then having younger drivers, that have sometimes been unable to develop/tame the present model. They've now put Loeb into World Rallycross with their other PSA brand Peugeot and getting patchy results with VW Hyundai and Audi (who leave WRX at the end of the season, to concentrate on Formula E) being just a bit faster.

As you say the Malcolm Wilson MSport squad having a much lower budget, as Ford want to get results on a budget, struggle to further develop the Fiesta due to various changes in the regulations.

The next question is then, who of the current Citroen drivers is going to get the push? 

• Like 1

I reckon Citroen should keep Craig Breen and let ostberg go . Ostberg is only ever going to be a number 2 and has had time now to up his game . Breen needs another year maybe , but is getting faster . Compared to Ogier though , both drivers will seem slow . 

I see in the Autosport weekly magazine (my comic) that both Breen and Ostberg are at threat it seems!