Modelling Queries (priming and clear coating)

Oberleutnant

Hi gents,

Just learning the hobby and have a couple of queries if you can spare me the time please.

I'm using water based acrylics (Vallejo) hand brush applied and was wondering if people recommend brush painting clear coat gloss/matt?

Reason I ask is I'm not great with the spray can and was thinking about applying coating with a brush instead but I am a little worried about additional brush strokes.

Also, do any of you not apply a primer before brush painting when using water based acrylics?

Thank you.

Can’t really help you with the brush painting a clear coat, as It's not something that I do it that often (I airbrush gloss and matt varnishes). The times I have brushed on a clear coat it’s using a wide flat brush to help avoid brush strokes with a fairly thinned down varnish using multiple coats if needed. I don’t think I’ve ever really successfully brush applied a good matt coat, it always seems to dry patchy on me.

It’s rare that I don’t use a primer with acrylics. Perhaps on internal areas like aircraft cockpits, internal bays and undercarriage areas I might not bother priming. For areas that will be further handled, like for masking etc. I always prime. Better safe than sorry if later painted areas end up getting pulled up to bare plastic! :(

Mart

• Like 1

One question: are you doing aircraft? If so, this might be of use.

I'm a brush painter and use a wide, flat brush to apply clear coats (Klear for gloss and Windsor & Newton for matt/ satin coat). I usually use enamels but Tony O'Toole (who paints brush paints enamels) always advises (IIRC)

1) flat brushes

2) thin coats of paint

3) a light sandIng between coats to remove brush marks (if you have any)

4) once you've achieved the paint coverage, then the last coat is dry-brushed

Some people use a flow-improver with acrylics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...