Passion Wagon - Charles E "Chuck" Weaver - Camoflaged Version

just discovered my phone camera takes better photos than my digital SLR...

IMG_20180829_161228_zpsabuln0yc.jpg

Excuse the blob on the floor - the result of the seat coming out. I also just snapped off the control stick. Genius. But I have a spare from the other kit that I trashed.

IMG_20180829_161255_zpsx5gcmqtk.jpg

IMG_20180829_161335_zpsomq456ov.jpg

So I just tried rubbing some of the glossiest areas with my finger and then a cotton bud. Seems to have partly worked although I'm sure there's probably a better way. Still I think I'm going to repaint the top surfaces of the radio boxes and I'm going to use the seat from my other kit.

Tonight I'm on to wings!

Edited by hammett98
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good, glad to see the new kit is here and you flying along with it. I just use straight up paint and a homemade black wash for my cockpits. Not sure but ive heard that flat needs to be stirred quite a bit before used. Maybe thats what happened ? 

Definitely possible as I didn't stir at all....oops

I'm going to test the matt on the trashed kit before using on this one until I get a better result. Kicking myself a little as before the varnish I was really pleased with it but I've re-painted the boxes and am painting the seat. Its just a case of if I should paint the floor again or not. Probably will...

Oh well, got the wings together and painted the zinc cromate and aluminum on the wheel wells and got them nice and dirty last night (how having a dirty night in has changed as I've got older!)

IMG_20180830_1552316124_zpsxim47eg1.jpg

• Like 2

Wife went and booked a last minute holiday - have tried to do some priming and other bits before the off but looks like I'll have a lot to do when I get back! See you all in a week and really enjoying the amazing work everyones doing on this kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to prove I'm still in with a chance of getting this done on time!

IMG_20180921_163305_zpssgwuiufr.jpg

Have to touch up the grey along the sides, tony bit of olive too, finish the red on the spinner. Landing gear is done. Need to do the second part of the canopy. Need to do the stripes. Varnish, decals, varnish. Then sit back and bathe in glory!

• Like 3

Where to start....

Worked solidly on this kit for the past 2 days. Literally.

Long list of disasters - paint rubbing off whilst decalling (which took me over 8 hours!), airbrush issues, snapped control sticks and antenna's from both kits (although antennas were more flash than anything else). Oh and the kits world decal sheet is printed incorrectly - the checker pattern is duplicate for the camo version but it should be mirrored. Spent ages trying to work out that one. Thankfully used the NMF decal but still means Im one short if I build the other version. Took me nearly a day to figure how to mask the spinner and it still doesnt look good.

Anyone would think I wasn't having fun but actually I loved building this kit! I see loads of flaws in my work - bit annoyed that I had a really nice paint finish then seemed to constantly chip it, meaning I ended up with a pretty poor paint job. Really couldn't figure out painting leading and trailing edges either. Might have overdone the wash, but I was enjoying it! Found out watercolor pencils don't go over gloss....so that was a big part of weathering out the window!

Considering this is my first kit, its 10x better than I thought I could do. I know its not a masterpiece but I'm quite pleased with the final result. Need a week or so though before starting the next!

IMG_20180923_234448_zpsbtot4rmn.jpg

IMG_20180923_234614_zpsx7zc2ocw.jpg

IMG_20180923_234632_zpsstpf6ouj.jpg

IMG_20180923_234639_zpsk3808afh.jpg

IMG_20180923_234706_zpsyl29qfja.jpg

Thanks for any comments/tips etc.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 5:30 PM, hammett98 said:

just discovered my phone camera takes better photos than my digital SLR...

Actually your DLSR takes incredible photos, its just has a hideous piece of software mangling them into nasty jpegs  whereas your camera take lousy images but has state of the art jpeg conversion to hide it...Just realised that after my £3K D850 was being "out performed" by my iPhone 6 and discovered the joys of digital negative developing....

BTW handsome build, like you I was pushed for time but finish it off and post in RFI, it worth showing off, you've settled the decals down into the Airfix trenches nicely and passed the "Airfix P-51 Canopy Challenge". When you finish it, shoot with light hitting the nose art, if you can, it'll really pop against the olive drab camo.

Cheers

A

On 9/24/2018 at 1:48 AM, azureglo said:

Actually your DLSR takes incredible photos, its just has a hideous piece of software mangling them into nasty jpegs  whereas your camera take lousy images but has state of the art jpeg conversion to hide it...Just realised that after my £3K D850 was being "out performed" by my iPhone 6 and discovered the joys of digital negative developing....

BTW handsome build, like you I was pushed for time but finish it off and post in RFI, it worth showing off, you've settled the decals down into the Airfix trenches nicely and passed the "Airfix P-51 Canopy Challenge". When you finish it, shoot with light hitting the nose art, if you can, it'll really pop against the olive drab camo.

Cheers

A

Thanks for your comments - yeah digital photography is still a world that eludes me!

Curious as to what the Canopy Challenge is though?