Passion Wagon - Charles E "Chuck" Weaver - Camoflaged Version

Hammet,have a search around BM for this aircraft I built it using the airfix kit

And there was a discussion about the

Dorsal strake in front of the tail.just looked at my build and notice I removed it so I must have got the info from somewhere,it is an easy job due to Airfix's soft plastic.

22 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hammet,have a search around BM for this aircraft I built it using the airfix kit

And there was a discussion about the

Dorsal strake in front of the tail.just looked at my build and notice I removed it so I must have got the info from somewhere,it is an easy job due to Airfix's soft plastic.

Thanks very much for the tip Steve - I'll do some digging!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @hammett98 ... Heres an older thread with some good info. Some photo’s are gone from the photobucket debacle.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956652-p-51-passion-wagon-question/

I hope that helps you some. 

Hi there - yeah that was actually the one I was just reading. Some fascinating stuff in there. It does seem that the airfix 1/72 can be built oob for this version without removing the fillet, which for me is a relief as I wasn't keen on trying to cut a chunk out of the model and blend it in!

• Like 2

I have the decal sheet for 'Passion Wagon' also. I'm going to have ago at the NMF version the decal instructions also seem to confirm @stevej60's comments with regard to the fin strake not being evident on P51D 44-13691.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I have the decal sheet for 'Passion Wagon' also. I'm going to have ago at the NMF version the decal instructions also seem to confirm @stevej60's comments with regard to the fin strake not being evident on P51D 44-13691.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yeah you are right - the kits world sheet does show 691 without the fin strake, It also shows only 6 kill markings which would be correct for when Weaver started flying this one. Interestingly the decals have the option for the full 8 kill markings (not shown on the instructions) and that ties up with this photo which also shows the fin strake. I think some of the guys did some great research on that other thread and the suggestion is the fillet was added sometime between June and September 1944.

passion%20wagon_zps7vrbrw4x.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your NMF version - hopefully will give it a try myself one day.

• Like 4

I'm not sure if you ever have one of "those" moments - normally happens to me about this time of night (almost midnight)

So I'm just researching some colors, looking at wheels and weathering techniques. Planning my build. Want the canopy open to show off the PE. Check. Wheels up as I think mustangs look awesome in flight. Check. Not painting the pilot cos I don't have the paints and definitely don't have the skill. Check. Simon, you're a genius.

Oh wait....

:doh:

2 hours ago, hammett98 said:

I'm not sure if you ever have one of "those" moments - normally happens to me about this time of night (almost midnight)

So I'm just researching some colors, looking at wheels and weathering techniques. Planning my build. Want the canopy open to show off the PE. Check. Wheels up as I think mustangs look awesome in flight. Check. Not painting the pilot cos I don't have the paints and definitely don't have the skill. Check. Simon, you're a genius.

Oh wait....

:doh:

Yeah think we all get it, I’m still up researching. Shaping up to be great GB 

Seems everyone has got off to a flying start (pun intended!). Meanwhile all I've managed to do is hack and slash my way through several bits in the cockpit in preparation for later PE. Easier than I thought for the most part although finding it a real challenge to sand the sidewalls due to the curve and not wanting to unintentionally damage the other details. A bit more to go but almost there.

DSCF1876_zps3f4d2yrw.jpg

DSCF1877_zpsl7vj1oav.jpg

The one really annoying thing though is that I ordered some paint from ebay and it arrived this morning. Except its not what I ordered! Guess I'm going to have to give that "patience" thing another go!

• Sad 1

So, the patience thing lasted a few hours...

Decided that I would try and assemble some of the larger PE bits that needed to go together (I guess sort of sub assemblies)

Firstly, this is all new for me and frustratingly there seems very few pictures or details online from other people that have used this PE kit. So I thought I would show the parts being assembled in stages as reference for any one else who takes this task on. I literally managed 2 sections before my eyes have gone blurry! The pictures are crazy as I had to take them through a 5x loupe that I use for coin collecting. The first shows the two instrument panel sections together - essentially the main section with the dials and then the top section with the cutouts for those dials. Positioning this was an experience! The second is I believe a trim wheel on one of the control panels. As I say I wanted to do more but my eyes wont let me!

DSCF1878_zpsvwjwfphd.jpg

DSCF1879_zpssilktztr.jpg

Those 2 smaller trim wheels that are part 23 and go on the 2 circles on the right of Part 41are less than 1mm across 🤔

I get the feeling you guys will all have finished and I'll still be working on the cockpit!

• Like 2

So my paint arrived! And one of them was still the wrong one! I can categorically confirm without any doubt that XF-67 Nato Green is NOT a colour match for the Eduard PE set for this kit (despite the online resource that assured me it was!) Its not even close. Its actually less a match than what I have. So I've gone back to the vallejo interior green. I know it wont match but 1) I have it 2) I could spend a long time looking for a match, spend a fortune and still not get there.

So firstly, the instrument panel is almost complete. Everything painted by hand with a brush that had a single hair. Oh, actually its just PE! (I feel its a little like cheating?! Except its a crazy job getting it in place. Plus "self adhesive" is a little stretching the truth by those guys!)

DSCF1883_zpsrilbhax1.jpg

Cockpit sidewalls got a coat of black and then a base coat of interior green. I've been playing with my airbrush to try and create depth - not sure if I succeeded but its only my first attempt. Probably a bit heavier one side than the other but when both sides of the fuselage are together its not noticeable. Excuse the rough looking area which will be filled by PE.

DSCF1880_zps0uxwdppm.jpg

Finally just the seat and cockpit assembly ready for a bit of brush painting which hopefully I will do tomorrow.

DSCF1882_zpshandghvw.jpg

also please forgive my really awful photos - having a real tough time getting them lit to actually show the detail.

• Like 5

Great choice of subject,After coming back to modelling  I did the Meng one as my second kit back in 1/48 as my eyes aren't good enough for 72nd scale let alone 144th, will follow with interest

The decals I used only showed the 6 kills as well

29920282_2034350793246522_1286118083_n

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 6:50 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work so far with the PE dude. You should try 144 scale PE if you want fiddly 🧐

I can honestly say its killing me! I've moved on to some of the controls/levers and its feeling almost impossible. One of the pedals snapped, but that wasn't surprising as it needed bending and the join was next to nothing. I also really hate the green color.

I've been pushing on although I might leave out some of the PE simply because it doesn't enhance the kit and its a lot of work with essentially no benefit. I think in hindsight I would have probably just used the radio/battery box and the instrument panel and seat belts but I already prepared all the surfaces so have no choice now. But hey, learning is part of the process so at least I know for next time!

Oh yeah, the one massive lie with this PE kit? "Self adhesive"!!!

• Like 2

So I'm massively massively disappointed.

I worked for literally ages on the PE seat belts last night and was forced to glue them down - as I said the "self adhesive" claim is just simply not true (also known as a massive lie). The bottom of the seat belt was bent up at a comical angle and despite applying pressure and all sorts it wouldn't bend back down. Then guess what happened this morning? Two of the belts fell off - so no PE in place and a nice glue mark on the seat. And you know what - it looked rubbish with the PE on anyway! The sidewalls literally look like stickers have been applied. As I said its comical.

So, all the paint work that I did I actually like and think was looking pretty good. The green is dark but its interior green so its what I'm going with. Minus the PE it would look good. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna mark this one up to experience and start again. I cant really rescue the base of the cockpit as I chopped off the side controls which is a shame as its looking good. I'll probably keep the instrument panel PE as I like that and lets face it, it will be super easy to remove. What I'll quite probably do is build the kit roughly and use it as a practice model for paints/techniques. I know I wasted a tenner on the PE and also a tenner on the kit but that's life I guess.

Learnings from this

1) Eduard Zoom PE is not even slightly self adhesive

2) Tamiya Nato Green is NOT a color match for this kit

3) Don't chop off bits of your kit in preparation for PE unless your sure the PE will work in the first place! (probably only I didn't know that one!)

If anyone wants to make me feel any better with suitable stories of modelling failures then it would be most welcome as I feel like :angry:right now!

• Sad 2

Sorry your PE experience has been a bad one. Sometimes it really does make a model look the dogs, but not if it ruins your building pleasure. Plenty of bad model experiences, including feeding the carpet monster my gunsight from this GB. But like I say 144 PE aerials on a 144 scale Wessex then adding the wire between seriously tests your eyesight and your mojo. 

Keep up with your build dude. Looking forward to some progress pictures. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So, after a bit of a break (it took a week for the new kit to arrive and the same amount of time for me to pick up all my toys I threw out of my pram after the photo etch incident!), I managed to get a full day of modelling in yesterday.

100% happy. Everything went really well. Until the varnish. The MATT varnish. Which is well..... not matt?! I've been searching around but I really dont like the finish. It looked superb after the dark wash and I already had my eyes on the prize, but the matt varnish has just gone on glossy. Everything was dry. Used light coats. So not sure why it happened but really want to find a fix. (Its not just slightly glossy - it comes with a warning not to look directly at for fear of permanent damage to your eyes!)

First photo doesnt show it well although you can see the wet look of the cockpit floor and the instruments on the left hand side

DSCF1886_zps5vdhyh4d.jpg

Here you can see the problem a bit more

DSCF1885_zpsbbsiaalf.jpg

Thats not just a rubbish photo - that glare really is there. So the radio/battery boxes and the seat are the worse. I accidentally knocked the seat out so have easy access to it. Not sure if I should strip it down and re-do. Or if a bit of spirit would take some of the varnish off. Not sure if there's a product that could dull it up a bit (like a weathering pigment?).

Please help!