Airfix Ferguson Tractor

TonyW

On 18/09/2018 at 07:42, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Tony

There are lots of these tractors still around up here affectionately called "Grey Fergies" a mate in Mallaig has 6 of them hidden in various places so SWMBO doesn't know !

I have never seen one in anything but battleship grey, looks like the locals didn't buy the posher coloured ones 

cheers Pat

I'd first read this last night and thought you meant 6 KITS.

I guess you mean ACTUAL tractors??? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

I'd first read this last night and thought you meant 6 KITS.

I guess you mean ACTUAL tractors??? 😁

Yes 1:1 scale motorised versions, some of the weathering / decay is a little overdone for my taste !

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Only a couple of days left for the GB, best I get a move on with the Ferguson!

The two main pieces missing from my kit are the steering wheel and column and the seat and spring.

I've wound a brass circle for the wheel and added three spokes with round plastic strut. A couple of plastic tubes have been slotted into each other as the beginnings of a column. Pictures on the net show more than one type of steering wheel assembly. I suspect there are a few made up versions out there, the wheel seems to be the first part to get lost. Mine will join the crowd!

I've found enough decent pictures of the seat to know what I'm aiming for. I've made a couple of rough shapes with Milliput that can get sanded into seatness once they have hardened. One or the other should do the trick.

A bit of flat strut has been bent into a seat spring approximation. This lot should come together pretty soon, and that will be my final contribution to the Group Build. Phew!

IMG_6282.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TonyW said:

the wheel seems to be the first part to get lost.

Indeed! I once saw an old tractor where the steering wheel had been replaced with a slightly modified mole wrench. 😜 😲 😱

• Haha 3

Just about done here now.

The Milliput seat got carved into something resembling the original. I hope my missing original one turns up at some point, but this one will do the job until that happens.

The steering wheel went together well. A couple of heavy coats of grey smoothed it all out and made it look one piece. The  first attempt at a steering column  got scrapped and another made in its place out of plastic tubing. The tube fitted the cutout in the dashboard and slotted into the hole left my the missing original at the transmission end, so it can't be far out from the original one. A couple of plastic collars around the tube busied it up enough to look about right and a throttle lever was added to finish the column off. The lever is a short length of brass, dipped in glue at the tip to make the rounded end.

IMG-6283.jpg

IMG-6284.jpg

IMG-6285.jpg

IMG-6288.jpg

Tonight should see this one finished as far as I can take it for now.

• Like 11

Crazy high winds here today stopped any thoughts of working outside in their tracks, instead I finished the Ferguson ...

IMG-6303.jpg

It's done as far as I can take it. The pair of draw bars shown on the instruction sheet were missing from my model. Without a bit more than the sheet drawings to go on I didn't want to build poor substitutes in their place. I might get lucky and end up with the missing parts in time. We shall see.

Instructions-Unbuilt-Fergie-own-collecti

... more pictures over in the Gallery

• Like 8

One for the Top Shelf Tony - or better still, pack it in a sturdy box and send it down to me!!

I'm honestly out of superlatives, well played all round.

Cheers and many thanks for your excellent and prolific contriibutions.. Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

One for the Top Shelf Tony -

Cheers and many thanks for your excellent and prolific contriibutions.. Dave

It's going straight to the Pool Room Dave. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Very well done on the 'Fergie', Tony, it's looking pristine. It really is fantastic to see this first kit in the Airfix GB - thanks a bundle. Great to see you enjoying 'nostalgic modelling' - let's keep it going! All the best. Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a fantastic result! 😮 I like your approach as well; polish it up but don't lose the character. 

It may be worth getting a really old stamp and handwriting a letter to Haldane place, cross the address out and put the Marfleet on, then same again with Margate. Sign it Tony, age 7 3/4 (that's the vital bit) then wait a few days before e-mailing an enquiry. Could be a giggle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4