Westland Wapiti IIA - Underwing markings

sloegin57

My apologies if the attached photograph offends anyone.  I certainly do not intend to and am using it to enquire as to which RAF Squadron used the swastika, both left and right facing, on the underwings of their Wapiti IIA's in the Middle East.  Presumably it was used in its original meaning of peace, until hi-jacked by the Nazi Party.

5vhRToE.jpg

Thank you in advance and I will remove it if requested to do so.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Dennis, thank you for posting an image unfamiliar to me. This is a historical image and in this day and age be seen for what it is. Again thanks, I haven't seen such deliberate and well marked aircraft as this ,many wheel trims and fin markings but unaware of this.

Keith 

19 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Excellent view of the amount of un-aerodynamic gubbins hanging off the undersides of these aircraft.  Plus holes.

Quite streamlined compared to a Brisfit ! but what is the dark coloured "box" hanging down from the lower fuselage just aft of the mainplane trailing edge ?

4 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Quite streamlined compared to a Brisfit ! but what is the dark coloured "box" hanging down from the lower fuselage just aft of the mainplane trailing edge ?

Maybe it housed water containers and rations in the event of  forced landing...or a big box of dates? (Yes, I admit I am one sick puppy!)

Mike

9 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Early form of Flux Compensator perhaps?

I imagine it could use any enhancements to be able to fly.

Possibly Scorpion‘s Sting makes a mention - not sure if I have it.

10 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Secondary radiator perhaps, a la DH9a??

I visited the Indian Air Force Museum in Delhi back in May, with a mate whose Grandfather flew Wapitis in the RAF, to see the sole surviving example there (or what's left of it)...he forworded me a couple of good photos, including one of an aircraft that found itself in the same position as the example in Sloegin57's image. I double-checked, not the same aircraft judging by the position. Also have a great shot of the Grandfather in formation flying J.9086, I'll post them once I receive permission and figure out how to post images.

On a slightly different note, the Indian Air Force Museum, although lacking the relative resources and funding that western Museums usually enjoy, is still well worth visiting for the odd variety of machines they have...many of which I'd never seen before in real life. Just don't go during the middle of the year...46 degrees ambient temperature the day we visited 😲 😓

• 3 months later...