This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
MikeC

Just Curious about Selling

For those members who sell off their kits for whatever reason, either on BM and/or elsewhere: do you ever regret getting rid of any particular kit or kits?  And has that regret ever extended to eventually buying another copy of the kit you got rid of?
For my part, the answers are "Very occasionally" and "I think just once or twice". 

As I said, just curious.

Well i had it just once, but i have to say that i just bought that one back as it was very cheap and came across it by accident..

Never regrett it though as it made someone else happy and i was able to have the luxury of having it!

In the end i am simply not able to built them all but i want to have the choice of building what i like whitout needing to resort to a kit seller who wants over the top prices.

Allso most of us are a kind of hoarders😂

Cheers, Jan

Yes, a few times over 60 years of modelling.  You can pass through different phases of "there's just too many kits" and "I wish I hadn't sold that one on".  Or in the case of the Matchbox Mosquito and  the end of company" sale, "maybe it isn't as bad as I thought it was"  But it was.

I would just add that kits bought because they were seen cheap, or in case they were never seen again, or because I'm at a show and don't want to leave empty-handed, are the ones that stay in the stash forever.

Once or twice. I sell stuff which is too far down the list to get built, or if I have duplicates.

I've sold many kits over the years, but regret selling only two of those, a Tamiya 1/32 zero with lights and sound and Academy's 1/48 CH-53.

I've looked at buying them again but are either hard to find or expensive.

It's taught me a valuable lesson though, I won't sell any more kits!

Ian

4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Well i had it just once, but i have to say that i just bought that one back as it was very cheap and came across it by accident..

Never regrett it though as it made someone else happy and i was able to have the luxury of having it!

In the end i am simply not able to built them all but"

Allso most of us are a kind of hoarders😂

Cheers, Jan

Same as Jan...………….at aged 70 plus I am never ever going to be able to build many of my 200 kits in my stash, in fact, still buying!!!!  Just bought 1 x 1/48 Scimitar(as advertised on here)1 KFS 1/24 kit and 2 x Accurate Armour, ...…….I have sold my stash twice over the years and rebuilt them up again, its in the blood, no matter how hard I sit on my hands...……..as Jan says, " I want to have the choice of building what I like, when I want, with out needing to resort to a kit seller who wants over the top prices."

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

For those members who sell off their kits for whatever reason, either on BM and/or elsewhere: do you ever regret getting rid of any particular kit or kits?  And has that regret ever extended to eventually buying another copy of the kit you got rid of?
For my part, the answers are "Very occasionally" and "I think just once or twice". 

As I said, just curious.

Yes, once! I got rid of a 1/48 Prowler about a year ago. I liked the kit but could never find the decals to complete it in the scheme I wanted so I let it go. Then a couple of months ago, purely by chance, I stumbled upon those rare and elusive decals on a US site and snapped them up. I was then lucky to find a second hand, unmade version of the kit for the price I’d sold mine for. In other cases I’ve sold kits on in order to get a better/newer version by another manufacturer. In other cases I have sold duplicates of kits I already have. On rare occasions I have sold on a ‘why did I buy that?’ kit. I still regret other sales, especially those hard to come by or with lots of AMS but am unlikely to buy them again since I have simply too many kits to build. In fact I am working up a ‘core 50’ list. Those that are absolute builds to be. Anything outside of that could be fair game for sale in future 

Well, yes and more than once. I sold all my 1/48 stash of WWI,WWII aircraft and armour and decided I would only do 1/32 WWI (Mainly Wingnuts). I really wanted a 1/48 He.III though so I bought another one, then sold it, then bought another (I think it might actually have been from you MikeC) then sold it then, at the Perth show, I bought the 1/32 scale He.III which is now languishing in it's box part built. I still have the urge to get a Tiger tank or a Corsair or a big Spit or a Hurri but, so far, I am resisting as I don't have the space to store them alongside my stash of luvverly big Wingnuts boxes.

With times having been pretty tough financially for me in the last year or two I have contemplated selling some of my Wingnuts to generate much needed cash but, as the ones that are Sold Out are where the money is, and, because they are Sold Out they are irreplaceable, I have so far managed to find other ways to keep the household in food. 

22 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I have so far managed to find other ways to keep the household in food. 

Poaching the Laird's wild haggis?

:D

(I cast no aspersions, comment is meant for entertainment purposes only, some hilarity may ensue, YMMV.)

Nah I put the family on the Sawney Bean diet. 

Write a cook book, that chilli cheese haggis wrap thingy was a killer, if you've got any more like that you're onto a winner👍.

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

... I really wanted a 1/48 He.III though so I bought another one, then sold it, then bought another (I think it might actually have been from you MikeC) then sold it ..

I think it might well have been.

Some interesting replies here.  I did sell a Monogram F-8 Crusader once, then a year or two later invested in a bargain Hasegawa - that one got built.  The only really silly thing I did was buy a Roden 1:48 Gladiator, sell it on, regret it, buy another, then later sell that on!  There is only one other kit I've sold where I'm now seriously thinking of looking for another.  But normally, when they're gone they're gone.

I moved house six-odd years ago, when I was at "peak stash", and dealing with that lot brought me up short.  Added to which it was mostly 1:48, and I've become more inclined to 1:32.  So since the move I've sold most of them on, built others, and still buying, but at a slower pace.  The stash is at 20% of what it was, and it's easier to be more selective and buy less with 1:32.

It's interesting to see everyone else's take on it.

Yes ish.  Back when the kids were tiny I couldn’t see I’d ever have enough time for modelling so flogged off some Provence Moulage 1/43 and Tamiya 1/24 car kits.  Ok the surprising (to me at the time) very high prices achieved gave some welcome budget help but I doubt I’ll ever come across PM Group44 TR or LeMans Spitfire kits again...

Older daughter is now building a Tamiya Eunos MX-5 mk1 and has a Revell Diablo lined up next!!!  

Regards

Will

I think it was when I realised that in the last 6 years I had moved house more times than built kits that I at least had to start losing some ‘ballast’

I should sell of some of the collection of junk I own but I always seem to regret doing so.

Must be some sort of sentimental attachment since I KNOW I'll never build all this crap. 

Not sure about regret. I did sell a bunch of kits several years back when I got made redundant...all my expensive 1/32 Silver Wings and Montex stuff. I do wish I still had some of those. There's still room in my life for a 1/32 Hawker Demon! Oh! And the Fisher Sea Furies I had. Obviously, if I hadn't been made redundant, I wouldn't have sold them. Also sold most of my classic kit collection...I did miss those, but bought a few back since. Bottom line is that most of those kits are still out there should I want them again.

Steve

Morning Chaps :bye:

Well... after being forced to sell 300+ kits during my divorce a number of years ago, I'd say yes, I have had some regrets... :) 

I thought I was being a smartie pants by selling them to a friend for basically nothing (I sold them for 1 Rand each) and there were some pretty expensive kits in there, but hey, karma's a bitch, you go after the stash, you pay the price :) 

Funnily enough it actually made me appreciate what I have more. I'm now back at that level again and I do sell the odd item every now and then, but its usually only to close friends that are really looking for kits. Two kits that have kind of stuck there in the regret room, the Tamiya 12th scale Ferrari Enzo and an original early Tamiya 6th scale Honda CB 750. What was I thinking?...

These days I like to think of myself more of a miserable grumpy tight git than a nice friend that sells kits, suits me just fine :) 

I must be an oddity among modellers, as I've sold a whole bunch of kits and accessories and not regretted it one bit. I started to clear the stash about 14 years ago after building aircraft almost exclusively, for around 40 years. But a new interest had come along, AFV's, and wingey things just had to go. Since then, apart from one or two aircraft kits, they have all been sold at the kit swap at Telford each year. Now I have around 40 amour/military truck kits in The Cupboard, and at my build rate of approximately 3 a year, I should finish them by the time I'm 85!!  Unless I sell some..........or worse.......buy some more.

@Rob G I see you are puzzled by the 'Sawney Bean Diet' so I shall elaborate. Sawney Bean was a legendary cannibal in Scotland (He probably didn't exist) who was said to have preyed on travellers through the wild country of Ayrshire for food for him and his family. 

Was he(Sawney Bean) supposed to have lived in the late 16th-early 17th centuries? I seem to remember reading a story about he and his family.

Joe

That was, indeed, the time frame when he was supposed to have been around. The tale goes that he, and his large family lived in a cave on the shore and would grab travellers and eat them. The story goes that, when he and his family were captured their cave was piled high with the belongings of the travellers and pieces of smoked passerby were hanging from the cave roof while other parts were pickled in barrels. The story was probably made up by propagandists who wanted to portray the Scots as a barbarous, inhuman lot. The story conveniently emerged around the time of the turbulent disputes between Scotland and England.

Are ye casting aspertions on the Reivers the noo?

I have sold many kits and occasionally had a slight moment of regret when wrapping them up to be posted to their next owner, but the feeling doesn't last long. I've only rebought one kit (a 1:32 21st Centuary MC205) and while it's quite nice, I realise why I sold it the first time round. Wrong scale and not fantastic enough to justify keeping it unbuilt forever. Lesson learnt, if you lose your love for a kit there's a reason for it, which will endure.