Mig-19S 'Red 35' from MisterCraft, USSR, 1962

Thanks Steve.  I know...the kit really reminds me of the that terrible Hunter I built a few months ago.  Odd plans, poor moulds, unmarked pieces...like two or three different kits mixed into one.  I have faith, however, that from a certain distance it will look brilliant once finished!

• Like 2

Ready to prime, primed, filled again, and reprimed in satin black...

43296941674_26a63ffe83_z_d.jpg

Ah yes...the gaps we see afterwards...I was expecting this.

43296940694_39542c1447_z_d.jpg

More Milliput...

30147213128_a8d17809c5_z_d.jpg

And the last primer before it becomes silver...

43296939674_e821bd3c9f_z_d.jpg

The silver goes on tonight!  I am still working through some rattle cans so I was thinking of using Humbrol rattle can Chrome and then some weathering when it is dry.

--John

• Like 3

Thanks Col.  

So...the Humbrol Chrome is amazingly bright.  So bright I didn't like it, so I did some over sprays once it had dried.  First, a light Vallejo Smoke, which made it a little brassy...hmmm...then I toned it all down with some Vallejo Duraluminum.  It is better now but the pictures don't do it justice.  I am hoping that once the decals are on, a bit of topping applied I can make it better with some oil washes.  In any case...

42215538820_6e5bf19680_z_d.jpg

43305998014_8703f7a318_z_d.jpg

I'll attach the wing tanks and add some grey to the inside of the wheel wells.  I'll finish up the exhaust manifolds too.  I am thinking of trying to brush paint some of the larger panels a different aluminum tone so it breaks up the look a bit.  

--John

• Like 4

Please...could someone please tell me why I do this to myself?  No more, I say!  No more Master/Mister/Plastyx/Crap/Craft kits!  I have had enough of parts that aren't correct, not moulded well, directions that do not match the parts in the box, gaps large enough to live in...awful, awful, awful...I did the best I could and left it at that.  To think I spent all that fun time constructing a cockpit only to have to insert it into this pig's auditory orifice...blech!  I did what I could.  The rest are in the gallery.  I am off for a nap and then maybe I'll come back and begin something that is the antithesis of this...please, something with concise directions, nicely moulded bits and decals that don't fall apart!  (Revell Hunter?)

43998015652_d6a701c771_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

I hereby confirm the award of the DFC (Distinguished Frottling Cross) for services to modelling above and beyond the call of duty.

Congratulations.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Frottling

I had to look that one up...:yikes:

31 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

a new Mig-19 up to modern standards would be sure to sell well

Yes please...!

46 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

how about a nice Eduard MiG-21 as a palette cleanser?!?

I might just do that...Thanks!

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

palette cleanser

I'm looking into this for the next build. 54 Sq., of course.  Col tells me it had the full assortment of exploding gadgets, so that will be fun.   I have read good reviews and what's in the box has impressed me.  Being a reputable company, I am hoping the parts fit together the way they are supposed to.  Does this make me a lazy modeller?  no...just one who likes well-designed kits!

30180752418_d0c8e5f0bc_z_d.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you exdraken.  I don't think there is an alternative.  All the different 'companies' seem to be using the same moulds.  If AZModel were to release one, that would be good.  Their Mig-17 line is awfully nice.

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

In re-organizing the stash this morning I discovered I have an old Heller Mig-19...In perusing the contents I discovered that despite the raised rivets it might actually be a better kit than the MisterCraft.  What say ye?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

In re-organizing the stash this morning I discovered I have an old Heller Mig-19...In perusing the contents I discovered that despite the raised rivets it might actually be a better kit than the MisterCraft.  What say ye?

I say, go on, you know it makes sense. What's the point in having kits in the stash if you aren't going to build them ;) 

Also have to admit I'd no idea Heller did a MiG-19.

I might not get to it during this GB.  I have a nifty decal selection from Print Scale with some Bangaldeshi, Indonesian, Pakistani, Chinese, Russian, Polish and Czech markings.  Only the Russians would suit this GB.  I think the Pakistani blue/grey camo would look nice..

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 7:40 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

Oh!

Another GB candidate!

Czech markings would work, no?

• Like 1