Fantasy Lit recommend

Hi there,

This is my first official post. About 12 years ago I was given a novel that is part of the "Dark Matter" series, a film (haven't seen) was made post the novel called "Northern Lights, by Philip Pullman" I was devastated as it was a brake up gift from my first long term relationship. Needless to say I read it cover to cover, its a beautiful, very intelligent book, and any one who saw the film "Interstellar" in my humble opinion would enjoy.  

Thanks,

S

t

Might give that a try.

I've just finished reading Electric Dreams, a compilation of short stories by Phil K Dick (of Bladerunner fame).  These are the original stories used by Channel 4 for the Electric Dreams series.  Each story is introduced by the director/producer of each episode. 

For Sci-Fi written in the 1950s it still has a lot of relevance today.

Richard K. Morgan could well be your man. The A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy is excellent sword-wielding fantasy (including some interesting sci-fi tropes), and the Takeshi Kovacs novels are hard sci-fi. Netflix recently broadcast what I thought was a pretty good adaptation of the first novel, Altered Carbon.

• Like 3

I also recommend Joe Abercrombie's work - his characters are a lot more human than most, they laugh and cry, celebrate and mourn, feel fear, love and miss their departed friends. And they're cracking good yarns, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chief Smeg said:

my favourite of them all is still “Night Watch”

I love them all. Just about to start Moving pictures. (Again).

The Dresden files was a TV series too. Nicely done, but I think only one series.

Sci fi, but, 

Joe Haldeman, the forever war series,

All three are in this edition

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61kaoSO6OwL._AC_US218_.jpg

I'll second the recommendation for the Altered Carbon books too. Excellent Cyber punk.

1 hour ago, The Chief Smeg said:

But of course the king of fantasy will always be Terry Pratchett as far as I’m concerned - start with “The Colour Of Magic”; my favourite of them all is still “Night Watch”

Having recently attended my fifth Discworld convention, I can only agree. 😁 I think my favourite is either Going Postal or The Fifth Elephant. I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan as well, and I'm really looking forward to the TV adaptation of Good Omens.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Pern series of books has one of my favourite endings. 

These are my top three fantasy book recommendations: 

Raymond E Feist, The Riftwar Saga.

Robert Jordan The wheel of time

David Gemmell The Drenai series ( Legend one of my favourite books)

I need to get caught up on the Pern books, last one I read was All the Weyrs Of Pern - I imagine I’ve missed quite a few

13 hours ago, Pilgrim_UK said:

The Pern series of books has one of my favourite endings. 

These are my top three fantasy book recommendations: 

Raymond E Feist, The Riftwar Saga.

Robert Jordan The wheel of time

David Gemmell The Drenai series ( Legend one of my favourite books)

A few I've enjoyed recently are:

The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J Maas,

The Wall of Night Series by Helen Lowe (though it got tough to read by the third book),

The Wintercraft Series by Jenna Burtenshaw (a kids book really, but an enjoyable read)

and a few as yet unmentioned by others, which I have read many times:

Unaccompanied Sonata by Orson Scott Card (a collection of short stories which include the original 'Enders Game' story)

The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula Le Guin (there are extensions to the trilogy, but I didn't find them as well crafted)

The Book of the Beast Trilogy [The Orphan, The Captive and the Book of the Beast] by Robert Stallman (an "alternative" lycanthropy story)

Kev