Content withdrawn - I will NOT be threatened by a moderator, simply because I queried the actions of another...

andyf117

Just to throw another thought in Andy, I remember Pussers Mk2 and 3’s having an inflatable 6 man seat in the middle of the cab. Two reasons, aid comfort from the aircraft shaking you to death and for extra  floatation ‘if’ you ditched😬 

i see Chew has said the inflatable seat was from the 90’s. I left the FAA in 89 and remember my mates flight having one fitted to their cab.

• 2 weeks later...

The inflatable seat was definitely around in the 80s - I did my Lynx conversion in early-89 and we had them then.  Can’t help you with the fore & aft vs athwartships 6-man seat, other than to say that one of the reasons for fitting it fore & aft (as we always did on my Flight) was to aid escape if you ditched - which suggests that they’d have fitted them f & a early, if possible.

• Like 2

At lest they were in boxes.  We once spent 3 hours VERTREPing fruit & veg around 4 ships (Muggins here had the only serviceable aircraft).  All fine until we landed on for a suck of fuel at the end; the RFA deck crew decided that they could save a netted load by chucking the final 3 sacks of spuds (destined for Broadsword, our Mum) into the back.  They promptly burst, and my boys were not best pleased to have to clean the resultant mess out of the rear cabin after we went home.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I wasn’t Lynxing as early as that, but in my era I don’t think I ever saw a cab without the 3-man seat at the rear.  It didn’t get in the way of anything else, so why go to the hassle of removing it?  90% of the time it had an MS6 liferaft strapped into one of the seats.

P.S. MS6 usually starboard aft, come to think of it, because that would be the door you’d be more likely to chuck it out of for SAR

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2