1/48 Revell Tornado GR4

Hi everyone this is my first post on here (I accidentally posted this on the wrong discussion earlier but haven't found a way to remove the post)PgIWwZth.jpgTb7g8Hth.jpglUZNYsEh.jpgvQ7snVO.jpg and I thought I'd share my first build in years. Revells 1/48 Tornado Gr4. It's thankfully gone together with no issues, I was assuming it was going to be a headache but so far so good! Also if anyone has any tips on highlighting panel lines or weathering in general I'm all ears as I'm useless at it. Also can anyone recommend a good clear matt? Ive tried Humbrol and Mr Colour and they even after being stirred thoroughly were coming out gloss. Any info would be appreciated.

• Like 4

Hi Deano..........looking good :)

I am still a relative newbie to modelling and have been using Tamiya Panel Line Accent...........not so easy to get here in UK but can be found on Ebay. However, I have just purchased some washes from Flory ( http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/ ) and I think they are brilliant. Watch the short video on the link and decide for yourself............I've just used it on my model (Tamiya 1:32 Vought F4U-1 Corsair "Birdcage" #60324) and it looks really good and is soooooooo easy, even for us newbies :)

Edited by Starspell
Link to build
  • Like 1

hAooy3bh.jpg

Thanks Starspell I appreciate that I'll check it out. So here I am so far after working all day it's good to get something done. So the stores are assembled now, I'd accidentally assembled the Luftwaffe drop tanks so had to build another two tanks, stores are a bit tedious if I'm honest but I'm nearly there!

• Like 2

Hello Deano,

Seconded for the Flory washes, I became addict of this stuff, there is differents shades or color, my fav one is "Grime"

Pretty good Tornado, thanks for the tip about the Revell Tornado !

Hups and welcome to BM, take care BM is also addictive !! best model club I think !!

Open 24/7 with loads of madmen great modellers !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Oh hey guys cheers for that, I actually think the smaller tanks look better. I actually did pick up a flory models wash, I'll post an update tomorrow when I'm at the bench again.

KhSBdBTh.jpg

So I've now got all the stores painted just the engines to go, the Alclad paint arrived I chose steel, burnt Iron and Exhaust Manifold so I'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

That's coming along nicely Deano, I've got the ADV version of this which I will be building shortly.

For varnishes, after trying many different types I settled on Winsor & Newton Galeria. They do a matt, satin and a gloss and will spray straight from the bottle.

Hi Deano, welcome to Britmodeller. 

I have one of these in the stash, don't know when I'll get to build it though so I'll watch yours for now. I can also recommend the W & N Galleria varnishes, if you want a really flat matt finish theirs is excellent.

Glad to hear it went together well.

Cheers

John

Lol ah Colin I was pleasantly surprised virtually no filler at all on it a few minor seams but otherwise it was problem free. I thought at the start as it's my second model in about five years and looking at the breakdown I assumed it was gonna be a real slog to put together but honestly I've had no issues.

wInmeOO.jpgHuhb0cD.jpgQwAKG5N.jpg6vkEkWh.jpg

Well here's the progress, I've got the landing gear and gear covers attached, again no issues with anything. My eyesight isn't great and I was attaching this under artificial light so on screens it might appear crude but looked okay to me but I'm blind. Also I got the inside the the Ailerons painted white, instead of messing around spraying them I had actually gotten a white acrylic paint marker so it took seconds and no masking! I'll definitely be getting a few more of those pens as it'll make detail painting so much easier for someone like me. Anyway I hope you like it, also if any of you guys had wondered although possibly not the colour I painted the aircraft with is Mr Hobby 417 Light Blue, but to my eye it's the closest colour I have seen that I could find.

• Like 1

mEHOzOh.jpg9jn2GmW.jpgL4UvzX5.jpg

Well I have the engines on now I used burnt iron for the exhaust and the buckets or whatever theyre called and I'm pleaaed with the result. I used pigments for inside the engines to get a burnt heated look on the inside, I don't know how realistic it is but to my eye looks ok. Again comments and criticism is always welcome.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Looking very nice! I'm just starting one of these - nice to see where it's headed.

Cheers man, it's a good kit, fits well and a lot of parts for ypur money thats for sure!

idgUKEB.jpgGxhUssA.jpg

Well the decalling has begun, this is an area you can't accuse Revell of missing anything there must be a number count into the billions on this decal sheet.

• Like 3