Hurricane IIc , 1 Squadron SAAF

This will probably be the last build from me in this GB, I had a whole squadron of planes planned but life has got in the way so the remainder will have to wait until Mediterranean Group Build III.

After speaking with @Troy Smiththe other day, I thought a Hurricane would be in order.

I'm going to use the Legato kit to do a SAAF plane.

I'm using this boxing, because I picked a few up cheap when Hannants were doing a special a year or so ago.

20180808_201258

(I know this ain't really the place but if anyone wants the transfers, drop me a PM and they're yours.)

I'll be attempting to do HL885 AZ-Z:

20180808_201323

So far, I made a start on the cockpit and painted a Humbrol 33 undercoat on some bits.

20180808_201406

I'm lead to believe that the Legato kit is generally good but there are few bits that need attention on the fuselage and tailplane.

20180808_201421

The raised bit shouldn't be there and recessed line on the tailplane should be raised. Sandpaper will get rid of the former and some stretched sprue will cure the later.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Watching with interest as I have two AZ Hurricanes which I believe are the same kit?

Also have that decal sheet, along with the other one, which I have yet to use 😊

Davey.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Watching with interest as I have two AZ Hurricanes which I believe are the same kit?

Also have that decal sheet, along with the other one, which I have yet to use 😊

Davey.

I think there were four boxings of the Legato IIc: a nightfighter/ intruder, RAF day fighter, Desert Air Force and, post-war. There all have identical plastic.

I think the AZ IId/IV/V is a different, older kit. I've got one in the stash, I'll have a look at it later.

I've been working away on this one. Because it's limited-run, there are a few ejector marks to remove:

20180809_173038

Also, the sprue gates are on the hefty side:

20180809_173044

20180809_172517

As mentioned earlier, I used some stretched sprue on the tailplanes to replicate a raised bit (stitching?) which needed to be added:

20180809_175241

Anyway, some sanding and gluing and I have this:

2018-08-12_02-30-29

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

@DaveyGair I've had a look at the IID boxing I have (It's also the IV/ V) and it's similar but not the same. This explains the differences far better than I can:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/azl7212reviewmd_1.htm

Meanwhile, I must concentrate on this build and not get distracted by the 6sqn Hurricane IID and Spitfire Vcs I had delivered the other day.

First coat of Middle Stone applied:

2018-08-16_07-28-50

(I will sort out that gap on the spine. Promise.)

Now to sort out the propeller...

2018-08-14_09-26-53

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beard said:

@DaveyGair I've had a look at the IID boxing I have (It's also the IV/ V) and it's similar but not the same. This explains the differences far better than I can:

Meanwhile, I must concentrate on this build and not get distracted by the 6sqn Hurricane IID and Spitfire Vcs I had delivered the other day.

First coat of Middle Stone applied:

I think I remember seeing this, so from the same stable but not the same, I can live with that! 

I'm trying not to be distracted by other stuff as well, not got long to finish the Beaufighter build I'm doing for this GB,  busy with the canopies and the prop's, and undercarriage, and aerial, decalling …….

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Do you not lovingly fondle the new styrene upon opening the box? Sweetly caressing each panel line and detail before applying cement and paint?

Chris

29287248847_af4a97979b_b.jpg

Edited by Beard
  • Haha 1