Type 4 Ka-Tsu with Torpedoes (a truly mad Japanese idea!)

Take a large underpowered amphibious tracked carrier, add a pair of torpedoes (making them dangerously top-heavy and unstable), strap two of them to the deck of a submarine, surface outside the enemy's lagoon harbour, take quite a while to prepare for launch, release the carriers and attack the ships in the lagoon!

Anyway, the Ka-Tsu is a most unusual subject, and we have Riich Models (yes two i's) to thank for a quite nice 1/72 scale kit of it After a five-day build here's what I ended up with. My build log with images of modifications and scratch-built details is over on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale DG:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/viewtopic.php?f=47210&t=316081&p=1531131#p1531131

file.php?id=11258&t=1

file.php?id=11259&t=1

file.php?id=11260&t=1

file.php?id=11261&t=1

file.php?id=11262&t=1

file.php?id=11263&t=1

file.php?id=11264&t=1

file.php?id=11265&t=1

file.php?id=11266

file.php?id=11267&t=1

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 24

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking paintjob Mark, but what a barking mad idea! 

Another really nice braille scale model off your workbench!

Keith

Thanks Keith,

Yes, it was definitely a crazy idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Very good paint job, doing it free hand and at that scale to boot :) Dumb question but how does torpedoes react to fire from small arms fire up to, lets say 20 mm? Can the outer shell be penetrated without going off?

Cheers

Göran

1 hour ago, Göran said:

Very good paint job, doing it free hand and at that scale to boot :) Dumb question but how does torpedoes react to fire from small arms fire up to, lets say 20 mm? Can the outer shell be penetrated without going off?

Cheers

Göran

Thanks Goran,

I should think the torpedoes would be very vulnerable. As an example, quite a few WW2 navies removed their deck-located torpedoes from some warships as the risk of them exploding with devasting results during a fight outweighed their infrequent use. In the case of the Ka-Tsu perhaps the biggest danger the torpedoes caused was that of capsizing as they made the vehicle/craft very top-heavy.