Airfix LM instructions - new version

rossm

Not sure if this is the right place - I'm straying from the familiar territory of the aircraft pages for the first time............

Please can anyone send me a scan of the revised painting instructions for the lunar Module that came with the "One Small Step............" kit. In anticipation of the 50th anniversary I've bought one of the old kits without doing any research and now find the colour scheme in the instructions is wrong.

Thanks,

Ross

Back in 1979, Scale Models magazine ran an article on making the Airfix Lunar Module more representative of LM5, the Lunar Module used on Apollo 11 (all Lunar Modules were unique as each mission was different). I still have this magazine as I have found it invaluable over the years.

They provided some good colour scheme drawings which are shown below - 

nRevGvKA.jpg

lqsusu5z.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Back in 1979, Scale Models magazine ran an article on making the Airfix Lunar Module more representative of LM5, the Lunar Module used on Apollo 11 (all Lunar Modules were unique as each mission was different). I still have this magazine as I have found it invaluable over the years.

They provided some good colour scheme drawings which are shown below - 

Thanks for that - I went to my shelf and found I have that issue, just didn't know about it because years ago I only indexed the aircraft!

A bit of magazine archaeology is always useful.

The written part of the article is also very informative - especially about what brand of chocolate bar wrapper to use for the gold foil. Sadly, I think one of the brands mentioned is no longer available. I have found Rolo foil is the best for gold mylar.

I used it most recently on my Dragon Gemini - 

HQoR2Fod.jpg

• Like 5