Hunter Mk 1 seat- red or yellow firing handle?

neilh

I've converted the Academy Mk 6 back to an Mk 1, but Googling Hunter cockpits only shows later Mks with the double loop yellow and black stripe firing handles, yet I could swear I have read somewhere that the early marks of the seat had the single " U" shaped handle in red?  Anyone confirm or deny please?  Thanks.

The ones we had at RAF Halton (1970-72 )during training were Black and Yellow stripes Face Blind and seat pan handles., like all emergency buttons ,levers and handles etc. . These went to Halton in the mid 60s I think. These were the kind of questions on Multi Choice test papers..... 

Hope that helps , it probably helped me with 2% on the exam !

• Haha 1

These are exactly what we cut are teeth on.. not sure of the Mark though . Sod's law no seat fitted but we had them in situ when we were there , we had to treat them as armed at all times.

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157848

Edited by bzn20

In the book 'Hunter from the cockpit' there are shots of early Hunters with the firing handle of the 'U' type and in one solid colour (so it is not black and yellow).

There is a shot of a 111 F6 with the later figure eight type handle  also the one colour..always learning,I thought that type was always black and yellow.

Unfortunately they are monochrome photos but I would go for red.

I had a look on Martin Baker's site  (http://martin-baker.com/products/) but their photos only show the later figure eight handle.

The Emergency Equipment/operation switches, buttons and levers/handles were originally Red  and changed at some point way before I joined up to Black and Yellow , you're obviously in that era . Sorry, I could have mislead you .

no problem, I am modelling a Hunter Mk 1 from 54 Squadron " the Black Knights" 1954- 1956, so pretty early in the Hunters career.