Trumpeter 1:144 LCAC - any PE/Aftermarket?

As the title says,  I am trying to find out if anyone produces photo-etch A/M for Trumpeter's 1:144 LCAC.  The kit looks to be very nice but the plastic rails and fan covers look overscale.

evZhKIZ.jpg

I am planning to get back in to the mancave, now that the weather is starting to cool down, and do some more work on my scratchbuild LHA-1 Tarawa.  The build is at the stage where the LCAC needs to be built before I close the well deck up.

cheers

Mike

Hi Pat,  I think the LCAC is a lovely little kit, however it is just a peripheral item within my larger build of the Tarawa; as such I won't be doing a proper WiP on it.   The Tarawa is sort of taking over my mancave and doesn't leave me much room to do other stuff.

Here is the stern section, showing the well deck with the unbuilt LCAC placed inside for size.

USS_Tarawa_build_03_1200px.jpg

Here is the next level up, which is the hangar deck, and this will sit over the well deck, virtually hiding everything below when it is glued into position.

USS_Tarawa_build_04_1200px.jpg

This view is of the forward section, with a 35cm (12 inch) rule placed on the deck for size comparison.  The bench the model sits on is approx. 64cm (5 foot) wide.

USS_Tarawa_build_05_1200px.jpg

There are quite a few 'peripherals' to be built for this ship model, including:  AV-8B Harriers,  CH-53 Sea Stallions,  AH-1 Cobras, SH-60 Seahawks; plus LTVP's, AFV's and of course the LCAC.

Being constructed of white styrene sheet, the model build is not very good to photograph; also the light in my room is not the best. 

cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks Kev, I shall give it some consideration.  We had a burst pipe, with subsequent flooding, recently and the builders are due to start repairs next week.  This will likely mean a serious curtailment of access to the mancave for a while; if it's not the heat it's the restricted access. :jump_fire:  It is quite a distraction and has made me lose my mojo somewhat and, as a result, I tend to be just doing research and googling on the PC at the moment.

cheers

Mike

I think there are two versions around: one has the skirt deflated with the other inflated. Which is which I don't know. Also, I've searched in vain for A/M as well. 

Edited by rich2010
Spoll chicker

Thanks Rich, I wasn't aware of a version with the deflated skirt.  I could do with that sort of skirt to repesent the LCAC whilst docked inside the well deck.  Then I could have the AFV's driving along that deck and up onto the LCAC.

Mike

• Like 1

Ye gods Mike.....What a project!  :o

Been looking at the Trumpeter 1/72 LCAC & repeating the mantra 'I will not buy it, I do not need an enormous hovercraft.'.....It sometimes works.  ;)

PS - Can't find any accessory sets for this kit at all.  :sorry:

Sorry Mike, must've had my skirts hitched into my knickers: Trumpy didn't do a deflated version. PitRoad did a resin replacement in their own boxing of Trumpy's kit. I saw one many a moon ago on eBay, but not looked since as i was beaten to it but some so & so. 

Here's one from German Amazon - uncompetitively priced!

https://www.amazon.de/U-S-Navy-hydroskimmer-skirt-japan/dp/B00D8U1W74/ref=lp_3715614031_1_7/260-6702257-0986122?srs=3715614031&ie=UTF8&qid=1534335640&sr=8-7

Richard  

Whilst I've not really researched a great deal for what I want to do with my stashed kit, there doesn't seem too much to the deflated skirt. Especially for someone who's scratch building an LPD in 144th! The bow and stern appear to be covered by the loading ramps and the sides just kind of touch the ground. 

This image shows both in- & de-flated although the stern ramp is up.

https://goo.gl/images/quTaM5

On 8/15/2018 at 3:35 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Ye gods Mike.....What a project!  :o

Been looking at the Trumpeter 1/72 LCAC & repeating the mantra 'I will not buy it, I do not need an enormous hovercraft.'.....It sometimes works.  ;)

PS - Can't find any accessory sets for this kit at all.  :sorry:

It did not work for me! I have had a 1/72 LCAC for quite a while, I had the JMSDF version first, offloaded it and picked up the USN version when it was released.

Mike, your Tarawa looks impressive, can't help on any PE for your smaller LCAC either.