Hunter F6 56 Squadron 1960 +++Finished+++

Right fellow modellers

When I decided to shelve the Buccaneer till next years STGB I needed to find something else suitable, I've got lightnings in the stash, but they seem well represented already, I've got a Javelin but decided my eyes aren't good enough for '72nd scale anymore so thought a hunter would be a suitable candidate to fill a gap on the NATO side :) 

All the bits are together now so thought I would post some obligatory complete sprue shots before I start at the weekend, 

Going to go with a 56 squadron F6 as I thought it would make a change from the usual 56 lightnings (as gorgeous as they are) 

20180808_162945_resized

20180808_163008_resized

20180808_163144_001_resized

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Lovely choice of subject and a nice selection of goodies to jazz it up :speak_cool:

Thanks Col

It's not so much goodies to jazz it up, it's more that in all the reviews I've read about the kit say that the cockpit is nowhere near scale size and is more like 1/72 scale so I though it wise to go resin and I always get a mask set if available to speed it up as my masking isn't the best 😉

• Like 1

Nice!

After 2 Academy Hunters that I really enjoyed building in the Hawker Gb earlier this year I wondered if someone would do one here!

And yes m even a very recent boxing!

Regarding the resin, the wheelbays are very nice, the seat is a bit mediocre, but mikes ahead of the tiny kit offering!

Great choice all in all I think!!

• Thanks 1

Good afternoon gents, I'm after a little info about the hunter F6 weapons loadout for 56 Squadron XF526 in the 1960s

I've looked for pics on the web as the Academy options aren't specific to the decal options and seem a bit vague to me, unless I'm being thick which isn't uncommon

I need to predrill the wings before I join the 2 halves as I want to dry fit the intakes/fuselage/wings as there is a generic gap issue so I believe

The only pic I have found is this one which seems to show the tanks on the outer pylon, but most other hunters seem to have the tanks inner pylon and a hardpoint on the outer for I assume rocket pods?

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XF526

Any help greatly appreciated as I've got to the confused stage now

Thanks

Ian

Generally speaking for a 60s Hunter I'd go with the 100 gal tanks on the inner pylons and either the rocket rails on the outer wing or leave that area clean. The outer pylons were not plumbed for fuel tanks on the F.6 initially and rocket pods only came into use later as well from what I can recall. Perhaps a 1,000lb bomb if you do want to hang some death off this one?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Generally speaking for a 60s Hunter I'd go with the 100 gal tanks on the inner pylons and either the rocket rails on the outer wing or leave that area clean.

Hi Col.

Thanks for that, I had got round to thinking that the F6 with 56 squadron was probably a fighter/interceptor first and foremost and may only have operated with the cannons and tanks unlike the latter FGA versions

How do you clarify clean? do you mean no pylons or rails, just bare wing so to speak, sorry if I appear to be asking a stupid question, but I'd rather get it right  than have to fill holes later

Many thanks

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Clean normally means no pylons and, therefore, no weapons dangling from them.  F. 6s were only fitted for the 100 gallon tanks inboard; the ability to carry the 230 gallon tanks came along with the F. 6A, FGA. 9 and FR. 10 IIRC.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the replies guys

I stumbled across this link on the web of a PDF of an old Hunter F6 profile book and indeed the Tiger squadron one just shows the 100 gallon tanks inboard and "clean" outer wings, at least I understand now what the term means

https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles/1616/Profile_004_Hawker_HunterF6.pdf

Ian :) 

As @stever219says clean means nothing fitted or hanging off. The F.6 seems to have typically been in this state whereas the later FGA.9 was seldom seem without something dangling so I'd say you're on the right track going with a set of 100 gal tanks at the most.

• Thanks 1

Making slow progress on this at minute due to other commitments, but here's a few piccies of present state

The dials and switches on cockpit are just random to give a bit of colour and interest and don't claim to be accurate, but I like it

The air intakes took a bit of  time to align together as there are no positive locations and took a lot of trial fits 

I've decided to fit the intakes and make sure fuselage halves line up with a bit of dressing, then resin cockpit, then jet pipe etc so I knew which bits were interfering

As you can see even with all the trial fits you still get a gap between intakes and fuselage as intakes seem about half a mm short 

The LH seat is the SBS one and the RH a Quickboost one as the SBS one didn't look right, I'll check which one to use when I've closed up to see if canopy fits ok

20180819_162708_resized

20180819_162717_resized

20180819_162923_resized

20180819_162956_resized

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, exdraken said:

quickboost is the way to go! I am currently in the process of replacing mine

Thanks

It does look a better seat and probably the way I'll go, just looking for a decent colour pic of one now to paint it, don't suppose you know the exact MB mark do you? 

27 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Nice looking office and those intakes look rugged.

Thanks, they are quite heavy duty and a bit of overkill in my opinion, and a sod to line up with 

The outsides look rough with the filler and glue etc, but you won't see them once the wings are on, so that will be ok, might not see the insides either as I'm thinking of going with a ladder and FOD guards, depends on how much time I end up with 

17 hours ago, exdraken said:

I assume these are the correct ones...

Martin-Baker Mk III H

Hi exdraken thanks for that, but these all seem slightly different to the quickboost one as it has foot stirrups and raised sides on the seat buckets

So think I need to do more digging about as the cushions and belts vary a lot between variants

This is the quickboost one that I have and is just listed as for Hunter F6/FGA9 (wonder if it is the correct one??)

The SBS one with the resin set seems to be more like the pics you linked me to 🤔

Even more confused now, there must be an ejector seat guru on the site somewhere who can help

Quickboost 1/48 Hawker Hunter FGA.6 / FGA.9 Ejection Seat w/Safety Belts # 48550

s-l500

Edited by Redstaff
More info

Right guys

Mystery solved I think 🤔

Found this while trawling around the web

"At first, mk.6 Hunters got the 3H seat but often were later on retro-fitted with the earlier 2H seat"

Looking at pics on the web, the SBS seems to be the 3H version and the Quickboost is the earlier 2H version, so either could be correct but I'm going to go with the Quickboost as it is a crisper cast seat anyway :) 

• Like 2

After a busy week at work I finally managed to get a couple of hours in today while watching the Grand Prix with the rain beating down outside, typical British bank holiday 🙄

The kit has gone together fairly well with minimum of filler and now has a fair amount of lead tucked into the nose and down the side of the cockpit. 

Hoping to get it into primer tomorrow and fill any minor gaps on the wings 

20180826_170021_resized

20180826_170033_resized

20180826_170451_resized

• Like 5

Bit of primer makes anything look good, even my attempts at modelling 😉

Just a couple of areas that need the slightest amount of filler, the wing leading edge for 1

20180828_010951_resized

20180828_011000_resized

20180828_011009_resized

20180828_011026_resized

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to have been ages since I did something on this with as I seem to have been living at work lately, but now have the underneath painted and masked off and the DSG on the uppers.

Hopefully out with the Blutac this afternoon and get the green on

Will post some pics later :) 

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in putting a progress pic on, but the rookie mistake of painting the aluminium undersides first then masking off caused some of it to lift so I took the decision of rubbing it all down, spraying with DSG then my first attempt at blu tac worms. I've learnt that next time to take the thickness of the worms into consideration as the pattern isn't 100% but I'm happy enough with it.

leave it to cure fully now and back on with the aluminium undersides :) 

20181001_120845_resized

• Like 4