JU 87

James Craik

It's a Ju-87D-3 captured by 213 Squadron at Sidi Haneshi on November, 1942. 'AK?' codes later applied. Note the detached cowling panels and canopy sections on the ground behind the airplane.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

@tempestfan, I agree; how rude of them to not help modellers in the future. What say you Mike? They could have cleared up some much discussion.

Let me share a story related to your post. Several years ago a Mig-15 was one of the display aircraft at the annual airshow we used to have here at Randolph AB. Me and three of my modeling mates were hoping to get up close to it and take some measurements, as I recall there was a lot of disagreement back in the day on the dimensions of the Airfix and KP kits. The Mig was a privately-owned example, and the owner had it roped off so you couldn't get close to it- we tried explaining we were modelers and would never harm the airplane or have an opportunity to take some measurements of a real example again, but he was  really arrogant and a horse's you-know-what. So, being the enterprising and determined modelers that we were, we had one of my mate's attractive wife engage him in conversation in front of his jet while the rest of us snuck around behind, walked under the ropes and slapped a meter stick on the fuselage, which we photographed, as well as taking  a measuring tape and measuring the shadow cast by the wings to get the actual span. The moron never realized what we were up to, and we got away clean with enough measurements to make a decent Mig-15. Score one for the styrene warriors. I've got a photo of me holding the meter stick against the side of the fuselage  somewhere in my collection. Ah, those were the days! Moral- never underestimate the determination or craftiness of a 1/72 modeler!

Mike

• Haha 6