Heller Ju-52/3m 1/72

So this was nearly the build that didn't make it through frustration but I battled through to create something that resembles a Ju-52. So the kit itself is not too bad and end result I am pleased with. Plastic and indeed the whole Heller package certainly not up to say Eduard or Tamiya standards. I left this build thinking I would not be hugely keen to build another Heller kit to be honest. Biggest problems? Instructions were terrible, vague pictures and bad print quality, flimsy box - the whole thing feels very low budget. Decals were unusable, especially given the nature of the Ju-52's skin. So I adapted and went after market, sadly this was after I had finished painting the model as per kit instructions. So its not really historically accurate but represents an eastern front Ju-52 in winter camo, so its not far off. Anyway, here she is:

20180808_112055.jpg

20180808_112125.jpg

20180808_112113.jpg

• Like 34

'Been there' with the Heller kit and it's many challenges...and your is an excellent result!

As to 'historical inaccuracy'...sometimes it"s better simply to finish a project---and not let the blasted inanimate thing win---than to beat yourself up about details. A 'save' is better than a toss!

Really good work, and thanks for sharing it!

Cheers

• Like 1

Looks great to my eyes. The Heller kit has the best surface structure of the Ju 52 kits in 1/72, but Heller kits are also famous for warped parts, which make them difficult to build. Historical inaccuracy on the winter camo at wartime? No. I think they were not much standards there then. And as long as you like it. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

Looks nice mate well done.

Ā 

May I ask how you went about the green camo please?

Yep it was sprayed all over with Vallejo Model Air RLM-something or other green. Then I used Humbrol maskol to create areas where I wantedĀ patches, then sprayed the whole thing with Halfords white primer from aerosol. Before white really had time to dry properly, rubbed off the maskol using a toothbrush. I wanted to keep flecks of white in the grooves and didn't want a perfect green patch - it worked outĀ pretty well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pizzapaolo said:

Yep it was sprayed all over with Vallejo Model Air RLM-something or other green. Then I used Humbrol maskolļ»æ to crļ»æeate areas where I wantedĀ patches, then sprayed the whole thing with Halfords white primer from aerosol. Before white really had time to dry properly, rubbed off the maskol using a toothbrush. I wanted to keep flecks of white in the grooves and didn't waļ»ænt a perfect green patch - it worked outĀ pretty well.

Looks good mate, cheers for the reply.

Ā 

I had to research what maskol was and now I have it looks fantastic!

Ā 

What a great idea.

Ā 

I'm a brush painter and this could be priceless in painting camo which can be quite tricky as its purely freehand with a bit of tape.

Ā 

• Like 1

You appear to have won the battle quite handily, the old girl looks great. Ā (ThatĀ long sticky-out thing... an antenna?... on the port wing looks like an accident waiting to happen!) Ā I was looking at a 52 yesterday (I like planes with a bit of an oddball look) with a view to adding one to the shelf but I'm not sure Auntie's sense of humour would stretch to another large plane at the moment. Ā So I got a Corsair, a Lightning and an F104.... Somehow I can slide three smaller ones by her without any trouble!

Edited by Uncle Pete
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pizzapaolo said:

So its not really historically accurate

I get around that by saying my planes are from 6 7/8 Squadron of Shepherds Bush... Then they're as accurate as I needĀ them to be!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pizzapaolo said:

So this was nearly the build that didn't make it through frustration but I battled through to create something that resembles a Ju-52. So the kit itself is not too bad and end result I am pleased with. Plastic and indeed the whole Heller package certainly not up to say Eduard or Tamiya standards. I left this build thinking I would not be hugely keen to build another Heller kit to be honest. Biggest problems? Instructions were terrible, vague pictures and bad print quality, flimsy box - the whole thing feels very low budget. Decals were unusable, especially given the nature of the Ju-52's skin. So I adapted and went after market, sadly this was after I had finished painting the model as per kit instructions. So its not really historically accurate but represents an eastern front Ju-52 in winter camo, so its not far off. Anyway, here she is:

Ā 

The Heller kit isnā€™t that bad for something thatā€™s over 40 years old and, to be honest,Ā neither Eduard nor Tamiya are infallible. Ā True Heller decals of the period were always a bit on the thick and inflexible side but alternatives are available.

Ā 

Uncle Pete that long sticky-out bit on the port wing is the pitot probe for the airspeed indicator: Junkers probably gave it that size and position Iā€™m order to provide it with the least-possible disturbed airflow so that it would give more accurate readings.

Ā 

Iā€™ve also wanted to model a Ju52 in winter camouflage, inspired by ā€œWhere Eagles Dareā€œ of course, and yours is further inspiration to go stash-mining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great looking bird, I adore the camo scheme. Looks like something you can airbrush on the main coat and hand brush the brownĀ pattern.Ā 

Ā 

Though itā€™s a little depressing thinking what happened in Switzerland with the JU 52 last weekend.

Ā 

• Like 1

Nice Ju 52 build. I bet that was a hard kit to build. My Italeri one sat on the shelf unfinished for more than ten years in winter clothes.Ā 

In the end I finished it as a Crete plane. I will have to big it out.Ā 

• Like 1

Another fine tri-motor.

There's something very evocative about these planes.

As one of the other contributors mentions, the movie "Where Eagles Dare" is something of an iconic reference on this plane.

Well done!

:goodjob:

• Like 1