1/48 Piston Provost (Royal Malaysian AF)

Mr B

Hi folks,

i would like to jump in with a pair of 1/48 piston provost belonging to the Royal Malaysian Air Force. There might be a 3rd one joining as well.

Overall impressions, looks great in 1/48 size wise...but both copies had a lot of flesh, something I dun remember in doing the 1/72 ones. 

saT02Uw.jpg

D1SSRSG.jpg

i am also building a f-18 together with these provost. I hope the custom decals will come on time. More about that later.

rgds

brian

• Like 6

Thanks Giorgio

its more special....as my dad used to fly them. Planning to build 3 of them and showcase them in a small diorama of sorts. The additional flesh on the parts are really annoying.....to clean up.....got a bit more work done on the cockpit....next should see some paint.

happy Modelling to all

rgds

• Like 1

I am slowly building my Provost (the RAF version) and agree that it does need a lot of filing and sanding to build the kit. In particular the coaming  above the instrument panel does not fit well, so I replaced that with a piece of thin card. Fortunately being a guide at Tangmere Military Aviation Museum I can look at the cockpit section we have there for guidance on the colour scheme - for example the box on the rear bulkhead is yellow - and fit.  It is now together and I am now in the initial filing and sanding phase. But it is the only Provost in 1/48 scale so thanks Mikro Mir!

John

14 hours ago, jaw said:

I am slowly building my Provost (the RAF version) and agree that it does need a lot of filing and sanding to build the kit. In particular the coaming  above the instrument panel does not fit well, so I replaced that with a piece of thin card. Fortunately being a guide at Tangmere Military Aviation Museum I can look at the cockpit section we have there for guidance on the colour scheme - for example the box on the rear bulkhead is yellow - and fit.  It is now together and I am now in the initial filing and sanding phase. But it is the only Provost in 1/48 scale so thanks Mikro Mir!

John

Hi john

Good to hear that you are building one too. Just wana check with you how did you get on with the PE, film and or the decals for the panel. Nothings matches on all three of my boxings. The plastic panel is not the same shape and the decals are oversized

Also PE 15 the rudder parts, there are only two when we would need four?. I have written to mikro mir for clarification as maybe my kits were duds. Awaiting their response

I agree the provost in 1/48 is much  wanted and applaud them for bringings us one. I hope I can muster on.... its on hold for a bit now

will be great to see pics of your build 

cheers

Hello Mr B,

Yes the instrument decal sheet nor film were the same shape as the instrument panel. In the end I used the decal and cut it to shape. I too only had 2 pe15 (rudder pedals) in my kit but have not used them - too small and you cannot see them anyway - but have used the kit rudder bars. I have filled the kit where necessary, particularly on the wing root/fuselage, and sanded them off. I primed the kit last evening but I am sure that it will need more filling. It looks like a Provost!

John

Hi John,

thanks for that....glad to know....that I have not lost my mind.....lol.....I have still yet to hear from Mikro Mir, I agree with you on what you say and like you...will have to work around the errors and omissions. But I think theprincipal of paying money for goods should still correspond to fitness and purpose for usage. Anyways rant over...I have since moved on....the build....will post and update when I am back from a short holiday....still massive part cleaning.

giorgio

yeap.....will post some stuff as I progress.....very quickly the Piston Provost was the first ever trainer commissioned by the Royal Malaysian Air Force. They served from the early sixties till the mid seventies and were replaced by the S.A bulldogs. It is special in the RMAF history as it was the first platform used to train pilots locally on the “wings” course. Based out of Alor Setar Flying Training School FTS 1. My dad was QFI on 2 tours  late sixties and mid seventies on the Provost and later OC flying during the Bulldogs era. Today RMAF fly Pilatus as the basic and advance trainers. Chipmunks and Tiger Moths were not Malaysian assest and they were part of the Malayan Auxiliary Air Force before Malaysia gained its independence from Great Britain.

I took few of his log books shots and will post as my build progress.

cheers

brian

• Like 2

Got some progress. It is now 3 builds at ago. Due to the poor nature of the kit, i decided to endure all 3 at one go.

belts are oversized ....next will be most likely putting the halfs together. Panels don’t match but i did the best I can.

Os0z9cN.jpg

SS5dXZp.jpg

I know that the anchor points for the belts are not correct at the rear...but will have to do...

just hope that it closes up well. 

rgds n happy modelling to all

• Like 10

Thanks alot guys

Martin, its nice to hear from you. Are you building something for this gb?

got some progress, next is the hard work of sanding n filling to make them look decent....

6VIPdBz.jpg

byD6ZXA.jpg

till later rgds

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Closed fuselages look good ! Hope that the filling-sanding-priming-filling-sanding-etc process will not take too much time. I find this part of a build as the most frustrating, particularly with short runs...

It is my hope too, but I am not too sure there are alot of deformaties so fingers crossed....for a fast result as specially tackling all three. Just like you, i really don’t like sanding n filling....but on a positive note, its getting there ...

thanks for the support - much appericated

rgds

• Like 1

Hi folks

got an update. They are all complete airframes. Still got the 2nd round of clean up, then rescribing as lines don’t match, then hopefull paint. 

D3pkarq.jpg

best regards to all

brian

• Like 8

Thanks guys

lost steam and motivation as the decals are delayed and other real world matters playing on the mind has held any worthwhile progress. Being poor kits don’t help too...anyways

hope to restart it soon, might not be able to finish in time for the g/b though. Will be a first for me not finishing a g/b....anyways still optimistic ...lets see how things pan out

rgds

• Like 1

Cheers guys,

managed a bit of work, painted the insturment shrouds....looking to finalize the airframes soon....but for nowfocusing on completing an Australian hornet which is only left its weapons n gears, then back to these bums ....hopefully... the next progress might see paint on....i dread to see what awaits me 😂😂

rgds

b

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Mods,

sorry for being unable to finish them during the g/b. If this thread could be moved to the work in progress section it will much appericated.

I have since restarted the builds and finalizing the painting soon.

thanks again

brian