1/72 Airfix Handley Page 0/400

On 8/8/2018 at 5:15 PM, IanC said:

Although I think you should have built a Halifax to compare it with, rather than a Lanc!

Halifax is in the stash, one day it will be his turn.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, Black Knight said:

1915 to 1930 the RAF fin/rudder flash/stripes was blue leading, then white then red at the trailing edge. Then it was changed to red leading until it was discontinued in use in 1934

Perhaps the instructions are wrong

Yes, instructions are wrong, and the boxart too. It never occur to me to check it, especially looking at the WWII and modern planes all have red leading. Too late now, I am afraid it would be very hard to correct it now.

23 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Excellent job; perhaps the best I've seen from that ancient kit.  What did you do with the horrible wing rib representation ?  It's by far the worst feature of the kit......

I sanded the ribs down almost completely, left "waves" on the surface. Then I sprayed it with lightened green color, masked the ribs with narrow tape and sprayed the final Hu 163 green. The beast consumed the whole can of Hu163.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic build.  I cannot understand how you got those rubber bands around the wings without snapping struts or pulling everything out of alignment.

AW

@Andwil I am glad you like it. All struts were initially glued to the lower wing, engine and fuselage. I let it dry throughout.

Upper wing was firstly glued to the struts in the middle (two above the fuselage, and two in the line of engines on each side). Then I pressed it with surfacer jars and kept it over night. I used Tamiya liquid cement. As you can see on the flowing picture, to keep everything straight, I fixed the model on the cutting mat, so i had to apply cement sitting on the floor and gradually, using pointy brush touching points of contact.

wip03_hp0_400_05.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

Nex day, I glued the outer struts, and put the number of rubber bands in place, for and let it another 24 hours to dry. I used not very strong rubber bands, so by adding them you can adjust the pressure.

Edited by Lanmi
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Beautifully done! I love the WW1 bomber model scene, I have been wanting to get around to buying & building the O/400 kit forever. I have to ask though - did you train the spider(s) that did the rigging yourself or is it a genetically-modified variant? ;):D

• Haha 1

A superb build of this impressive beast.  I also have one in the stash so I hope I can make it look as good as yours.  It would look good with a Halifax and a Victor.  Three heavies from Handley Page.

• Thanks 1

Wow!  A truly amazing build.

The rigging looks superb - I go batty just trying to add a single aerial wire to my various WW2 and post-war 1/72 aircraft.

A masterful build all round.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

That has to be one of the nicest 0/400s I've seen. Apart from the aforementioned rudder stripes, it looks as though you've left off the elevator control horns too. Otherwise, it's gorgeous!

Ian

• Thanks 1

I built tone of these as the third model after returning to the hobby after 30+ years. My kit was an old one moulded in the better green plastic, but it still had other issues, including those awful wing ribs. Not the easiest of kits to put together but not impossible either.

I really approve of your jigs - but some seem to be a little sophisticated.... Amazing what can be conjured in a few minutes from what is on the desk!

P

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Piotr Sudnik said:

Hi. Well done. In the 20's and 30's, many interesting planes were constructed. These were golden years for aviation.

Best regards.

And the 1910's

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Amazing work - one of the best O/400 builds I've ever seen. Thanks for the photos of the jigs that you used - interesting stuff. Are the guns themselves also made by Eduard? Also, could you please tell me exactly how you applied the rigging? Looks very realistic. I never knew the O/400 was the same size as the Lancaster! Great comparison. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Amazing work - one of the best O/400 builds I've ever seen. Thanks for the photos of the jigs that you used - interesting stuff. Are the guns themselves also made by Eduard? Also, could you please tell me exactly how you applied the rigging? Looks very realistic. I never knew the O/400 was the same size as the Lancaster! Great comparison. Thanks!

Eduard instructions for their Scarff ring. The gun is a combination of etch and DIY, although the builder here may have taken a different route.

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/72333.pdf

Edge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your kind comments, gentlemen. @Hobo Regarding the rigging, I used 0.073 fishing line (for 0.5kg), and drilled holes in both wings for the placement (throughout the wing).  I painted the lines with thick permanent marker pen. I glue one side of line in the hole on one wing with Loctite CA gel, than waited for few hours to set. After it sets I take it through the hole on the other wing, then apply paper clip to keep it tense, and glue the other hole. I let it set fully throughout the night. It is not very neat process, since you get outer holes on the surface of wings, but I compromised a bit.

• Like 1