Upgrading airbrush

Mark99

So, I bit the bullet and purchased a basic PremiAir airbrush a couple of years ago, to see if I got on with using one. I found it improved my painting quite a bit, but now feel it’s probably time to move on as my painting feels limited.

But blimey, what a choice and range and I feel quite perplexed as to what to get!

It doesn’t need to be the best there is and I’m not a novice using one. I prefer gravity feed, maybe different size nozzles or cups though? I have a good compressor and air tank set up

Due to my large size and shovel like hands I mainly build 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armour, my paint of choice is normally Vallejo Model Air

Any suggestions as to what a good choice may be?

Budget can be flexible if I can find the right one

Cheers 

Mark

A friend of mine uses a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline.

He says that the H & S is designed for the user, easy to use, easy to clean

He is a Church Minister, ex-civil engineer; so he knows about the quality and won't lie about it  :innocent::)

I’m an Iwata user but I would second the recommendation of H&S.

I came close to buying H&S but was working in the US and was able to pick up two Iwatas for the same price as the H&S 2in1.  That is a peculiarity of the US though, Iwatas are much cheaper over there.

So why would I recommend the H&S over Iwata in the UK.

1) there will be fanboys of each but looking objectively, I think they are both as good as each other, little to choose in quality and performance

2) generally the H&S is simpler to strip down, clean and maintain.  The possible exception is the Iwata Eclipse which is a similar design to the H&S

3) you tend to get more bells and whistles on the H&S for the same price point

4) the H&S 2 in 1 is a nice feature and goog value.  Personally I don’t like swapping needles and nozzles about too much.  The H&S makes this easier though I still prefer two brushes.  Mind you I expect, most of the time you will use the 0.4mm only occasionally swapping over to a 0.2mm.so there probably isn’t as much swapping as I would imagine.

5) apart from the Eclipse, the Iwata nozzles are tiny, easier to break easier to lose

6) Iwata spare parts are eye-wateringly expensive.  Not had to replace anything yet but this may become a source of buyer’s regret for me.

I believe H&S are now owned by Iwata.

Note Iwata do a cheaper range called Neo, think they are made in China rather than Japan but I have used some and they seem very good for the money.

If you want something in between eBay clones and the premium brands then both Sparmax and Iwata Neo have offerings, but some of the cheaper H&S are in that territory too.

I don’t know Badger very well, but they look to have some nice looking brushes at decent prices.

If I were buying a premium brush in the UK then I would choose between H&S, Iwata and Badger and would most likely go with an H&S 2in1.

Cheers,

Nigel

I know you say your budget is flexible.  As I guide are we talking £50, £100, £150, £200?

With that info I could give you some suggestions.

And do you want to stick to traditional airbrushes or do you like the idea of the gun trigger types.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Edited by nheather

I would also point you to the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2in1

It's the workhorse of the range.  Has 2ml and 5ml cups included. You can take the cup off for tiny detail work, or buy a dummy cup to keep the thread clean. there are options for 15 & 50ml cups and a 15ml side feed bottle.  It comes with a 0.2mm nozzle set that will pain from about 1mm up to 13mm for your detail work and a 0.4mm nozzle set for priming and area work.  It also has a preset handle on the back to set a maximum paint flow.   One of the two most popular H&S brushes.

Price is competitive at £130 with a 2 year warranty.  We also throw in the H&S workshop DVD , cleaning brushes and yelllow cap to bubble air back into the brush to hep mix paint / agitate the cleaner when you clean the brush.

Spares are reasonably priced, needles £9, nozzles £13-14, and a set of o rings for the brush is £7.50.

You can also install a larger 0.6mm nozzle set  or the finer 0.15mm nozzle set in the brush if needed later on. 

If you want to try one we have them here as well as on our stand at shows for people to try.

More info.....      H&S Evolution Silverline 2in1

Ta,

Paul

Thanks for all the info guys, it’s really helpful and clarifies things. I’m sure there will be fans of Iwata and H&S as you say, but the Evolution Silverline was one I’d already looked at, although wasn’t sure. It seems as though it will suit my needs very well and falls within my expected price range too.  Your feedback is useful thank you, I shall be purchasing one!

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I’d add onto this. I purchased a H&S Evolution Silverline, it had its first test run today on my SM.79.

It reminded me of many years ago, when I started working in the car business for a while. I drove around then in an old Fiesta, but the first car I delivered in my job was a Mercedes E Class. What a difference it was, so much better and easier to drive

And so my new Evolution is not only easier to use and a breeze to clean, but the paint job I produced was much better than my normal standard. Tomorrow brings an attempt on the lovely squiggly camo pattern, but I think I will be able to manage it well with the 0.2 nozzle

Thanks again for the recommendation, advice much appreciated 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1