1/144 Sopwith Pup (I'm sick part 2)

Thanks for the kind words Murdo.

Well done building the rigged DH2, certainly a challenge.

I I'm finding this build rather frustrating now, 

My Lewis Gun, which was built to precise scale is too large to fit properly where it's meant to go.

There's something off about the dimensions around the forward part of the fuselage and getting the wing in the right place. 

These Valom kits are a bit of a pig if you want accuracy I've been trying to achieve.

It's trying to break me. 

I'll even admit to looking at 1/72 kits today 😞

Remarkable detail work - well done , and thanks for the coloured image of the chap on the left holding up the Pup with just one hand. I have seen this shot in B&W a number of times but the coloured version is really quite lovely. I believe the next few moments were not so nice for the pilot and plane, if my memory serves me correctly, which it does not always these days!

Started with fresh enthusiasm today.

Which soon evaporated. 

whn1qg.jpg

I even shortened the Lewis Gun, and cut down the stand but the geometry of the whole thing and wing  position is off enough that it still wouldn't fit. 

A bad workman always blames his tools but I think this kit has thrown more issues than it's worth bothering with and I believe if I had scratch built I wouldn't have had the issues.

It would make a good casual build or warming model but I can't get the accurate model I want.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Murdo said:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!               :blink:

What happened? 

I was trying to gently adjust the dihedral to allow the Lewis to fit better without noticing too much of a change in angle. It snapped, along with my patience. 

With checking the kit against scale plans I realise how off the kit is.

2mm off in this scale is almost a foot off in reality.

To be honest mate, at this scale - to the naked eye -  a lot of that is pretty much unnoticeable.

It's only when the pics are blown up  (and issues pointed out) that  people see the faults. 

Please persevere, it will look a cracker when finished!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Whilst waiting for the clearcoat to dry on my Taube I picked this out of the cabinet and got the wings on correctly.

The breakage actually helped me out in the end as I was able to adjust dihedral slightly as I went.

fvixyg.jpg

The Lewis now sits in the correct position and not about to shoot a hole through the main spar. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2018 at 6:54 PM, SUB-SAM said:

Cutting the tiny slots in the cowling is tricky business.

29p9jcx.jpg

Before anyone says the pair of rear ones are off centre, the pup has the rear pair of slots off to the right side slightly for ease of priming each cylinder before starting.

Hello what type of material did you use to build the pup or cowling of this model were to buy the name of Materials you use and thickness of the Material's . This it like Evergreen scale models Rods & Tubes material can you tell me what Shape & size of  materials to buy  like shape and thickness to make this Model from scratch  the wings ,  pup or cowling , cockpit & the body of the plane  Please thank you very much, Great Job !

Edited by Alberto Estrella
wronrg Question

Hello what type of material did you use to build the pup or cowling of this model were to buy the name of Materials you use and thickness of the Material's . This it like Evergreen scale models Rods & Tubes material can you tell me what Shape & size of  materials to buy  like shape and thickness to make this Model from scratch  the wings ,  pup or cowling , cockpit & the body of the plane  Please thank you very much, Great Job !