1/144 Sopwith Pup (I'm sick part 2)

Major plastic surgery last night.

qq3gra.jpg

Wings had recessed rib lines, these had to be filled with stretched sprue, ultra thin cemented then rubbed down to produce raised rib lines.

Tedious work but essential.

The fuselage cockpit opening was the wrong shape. I am building N6453 (HMS Furious) which has the wedge shaped opening.

A real challenge fixing this shape!

Also can be seen internal rib detail I put in the cockpit.

Top wing has also been modified with the centre opening for upwards angled machine gun on N6453.

• Like 6

Cutting the tiny slots in the cowling is tricky business.

29p9jcx.jpg

Before anyone says the pair of rear ones are off centre, the pup has the rear pair of slots off to the right side slightly for ease of priming each cylinder before starting.

• Like 6

Help help Heeeeeelp !!

Congratulations !! :partytime:

One must use rifle scope to build such a model… Me, for instance ...

Hat up, Sam !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I need to get some optivisor for my work.

My eyes are good for 32 but I'm doing little operations practically blind then checking using the zoom on my phone.

I can't actually make out any detail on the engine unless it's a few inches from my eye.

I like the idea of detail going beyond the average person's eyesight so that no matter how close they look they can't see a lack of detail.

Takes a hell of a lot more time to achieve that effect in larger scales.

• Like 1

I was going to get a load done on the aircraft today but a disaster with the very thin cowling saw it drying with a repair this evening.

Instead I moulded another of my standard size base and created a HMS Furious deck top. 

I spent a few hours rubbing it down and starting again until it looked OK

b5s3f8.jpg

30171874_2129303910631929_14528800769889

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 3

Amazing work. I'm currently trying to scratchbuild a pup in 1/48 and I'm finding that's just small enough, can't imagine what 1/144 would be like. (my Lewis gun and prop are coming from the good people at Roden  via my  spares box btw , but I have scratchbuilt the engine)

Scratch building many parts is the key to good detail in 1/144.

In theory there are no physical limits and a 1/144 model could be as detailed as any larger model, although very special techniques are needed.

The biggest issue is paint thickness.

I use minimal coats and use washes/dies to single paint coats to reduce thickness.

Anything like pre-shading is a no-no and I use a 'reverse dry-brushing' technique using thinned oil paints to achieve this.

Kit manudacturers are limited by this scale which is why I wouldn't simply build these kits out of box, they are not bad kits just limited by the scale. 

Of the ww1 kits I've seen, Brengun is fantastic but only produces 3 types, please so some more!

I've got their Voisin Las bomber and its beautifully cast resin and precise PE parts.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 4

Basic paint layers are down now.

Colours are lighter than when finished as oil washes will darken the whole thing.

This allows me to create shading and highlighting with as minimum paint thickness as possible (a problem for 1/144 scale)

2je8rht.jpg

• Like 4

Miraculous colour change, which had to be done by hand as masking would have been even harder. I'll buff it down smooth tomorrow.

2962f52.jpg

Yes, I messed up but my rule is to always finish a build and make best you can, learn how to do repairs.

I have no shelf of doom and you'll find no models in my bin.

• Like 3

It's not going well...

2h3s9qx.jpg

Unless the RNAS covered their aircraft in rough leather...

This project is heading downhill, a bit of a shame after all the work I put in earlier on but we must make mistakes in order to learn.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 1

The mistake I made was buffing a rough surface instead of sanding, so it just accentuated the bumps.

This morning I have instead sanded, which has helped a lot.

It has removed too much on the ribs but I can now touch that up. 

21e6uqq.jpg

• Like 4

I really like building 1/144 (non airliner type planes) and your builds which I've just discovered are an absolute inspiration!

I've been using Uschi thread but have just ordered some of the wire you mentioned to try it as rigging. I've built around 13 1/144 kits (including a rigged DH2) with varying degrees of success. An optivisor  is a no-brainer for me at my age and I'm tempted by your idea of using pills to steady my hands.   :hmmm:

Superb work mate!!!

Again:

:mike: