Fairey Swordfish Mk 1 -Trumpeter 1/32

37 minutes ago, KelT said:

I know nothing about Flory wash so when I saw that first image I just thought OMG! I figured you might have dropped it again, in the local swamp. Once cleaned up though it has quite a nice effect, a little strong for my taste but it has certainly added depth to the aircraft. Do those washes come in different strengths, most of my aircraft will be white and I think that would be a little too much distressing?

The bluing on the exhaust is great.

Hi,

Think they only do washes that are quite dark, with hindsite I may not have used it on this model, but too late now so will crack on and see hiw it turns out in the end 😀, whatever happens I'm learning lots and having fun...lol

Alan

• Like 1

I did some reading on Flory washes out of interest. Your staining may have arisen from not having a glossy enough finish, the wash then adheres to the rough surface. It can also do the same if your gloss coat hasn't had time to dry completely (24hrs apparently).

I read that Windex applied very lightly (just to the top coat) will remove the staining as shown here. I have used Windex to try cleaning the paint off my last model where I went through a huge learning curve with paints. It wasn't strong enough to remove the paint (in the end I used oven cleaner for that) but it is quite gentle and easy to use, in other words a single drop doesn't turn your model back into plastic. There are varieties of Windex though and you need the ammonia based one. You could try it on one small area if you were inclined but I also know well the feeling of not wanting to completely ruin the work done already. I have learned that almost nothing is irreversible but it does depend on just how far back you are prepared to go in the process.

Learning and having fun are not always synonymous, I've been there a lot recently, eventually I reached the point (oven cleaner) where I stopped worrying and it did become fun again and turned out okay in the end I thought. I was offered a lot of support at the time for which I was grateful, it can be hard when there are so many incredible models on this site and you feel yours is not going the way you envisioned it but at the end of the day it is just a model and fun is the motivation. So long as you are enjoying it then it was well worth opening the box and twiddling with tiny bits of plastic.

Having said all of that I don't think the wash has ruined your model at all, it still looks great, just a little heavier on the grime than I personally would like, but hey I'm using Band-Aids and Knicker elastic so I'm no authority.

Edited by KelT
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Quietstorm7 said:

Hi gents,

A question for the great hive mind.....

Thinking of weathering the bits before final assembly as I think the rigging will get in the way if I try and do it after.

Going to give it another coat of gloss tonight...then do I Flory wash and gloss again or can I put oils on top of the Flory without another gloss coat ?, will put a matt coat on when everything is finally assembled.

Does this sound correct ?

Thanks

Alan

The way I do, First Flory on the "decals" gloss coat, then oïl painting and then Semi matt or flat varnish.

Depending of the appearance desired, on a '50s jet it will be a last protective coat of glossy toned down with semi matt !

I used matt canned varnish from the brand with the 2 stars, but I suffered from chemical reactions, example on my Spitfire thread !

So now I use the varnish from the same brand as paints used on the kit.

sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

I just saw the pictures, sorry, You did great with Flory, for a first, it's a winner.

If you feel that it's a little bit too much, use a clothe or damp paper and you can wipe it out and then have another try !

I love this stuff !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I just saw the pictures, sorry, You did great with Flory, for a first, it's a winner.

If you feel that it's a little bit too much, use a clothe or damp paper and you can wipe it out and then have another try !

I love this stuff !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC.... I really tried scrubbing and was scared of taking the paint off !, I'm wodering if I did not have enough of a gloss coat on?

Alan

• Like 1

KelT....thanks for that, might try some window cleaner for under the wings as looking at it this morning they do look darker than the fuselage, if it doesn't work I'm not too fussed, my story is that its been in heavy combat....lol

Thinking about what you suggested I think perhaps I either didn't use a heavy enough coat of semi gloss coat or should have used gloss coat or left it 24 hours.

Ah well onwards and upwards.....

Alan

• Like 1

Yes I think you are right. Not enough gloss. One thought. I used this wash years go. In those days they suggested using your own spit to clean it off. His latest video uses water. Try a little spit on an elevator.

Dang! Sorry I didn’t get back earlier. I have had Flory being stubborn to remove but as you rightly say, usually because there isn’t enough gloss. Either way you don’t need to scrub it. You can brush some water one and dab it off and the Flory will come away. If the effect is a little much you can just paint it in the areas where you want it, panel lines etc or as I’ve done before, air bush it on. Nice light coat. She looks really good though.  I’ll try and keep up in the future. 😀

Johnny

• Like 1

Afternoon chaps,

Sorry for the break in updates, work and life got in the way as it does.....lol

But managed to get a couple of hours in over the weekend, so here we go.....

Decided to put some oils onto the old stringbag

2018-08-27_03-18-00

Another process to experiment with😀

2018-08-27_03-18-29

Dots, lots of em....

Going to blend em together and add some other colours into the mix

2018-08-27_03-19-39

Yeah liking that......and I've also added some rusty staining, seeing as I'm going for the distressed look.....lol

2018-08-27_03-19-58

And added a little exhaust soot, well the start of it as will have to add some more when the undercarriage is on.

Wings also got going over.

2018-08-27_03-37-09

2018-08-27_03-36-53

Going to hit it with a gloss coat next and then start to think about assembly !

Bye for now

Alan

• Like 8

Afternoon chaps,

Sorry for the break in updates, work and life got in the way as it does.....lol

But managed to get a couple of hours in over the weekend, so here we go.....

Decided to put some oils onto the old stringbag

2018-08-27_03-18-00

Another process to experiment with😀

2018-08-27_03-18-29

Dots, lots of em....

Going to blend em together and add some other colours into the mix

2018-08-27_03-19-39

Yeah liking that......and I've also added some rusty staining, seeing as I'm going for the distressed look.....lol

2018-08-27_03-19-58

And added a little exhaust soot, well the start of it as will have to add some more when the undercarriage is on.

Wings also got going over.

2018-08-27_03-37-09

2018-08-27_03-36-53

Going to hit it with a gloss coat next and then start to think about assembly !

Bye for now

Alan

• Like 2

Good evening chaps,

The Boss is out at the cinema so time for abit on the Swordfish, can't put the wings off any longer......

Got to get these bits to fit into the wings and they don't want to play, photoetch and paint are not helping....

2018-08-29_08-59-17

Out with the files and lets see what we can do, not too much now !

2018-08-29_08-59-53

2018-08-29_09-00-19

Ahhh much better

2018-08-29_09-00-31

2018-08-29_09-00-42

Thankfully the bit at the inner edge of the wing needs much less work...

2018-08-29_09-00-54

Time for a dry fit .... not so bad....should pull into line with some tape...

2018-08-29_08-58-49

Ta....da......all stuck together

2018-08-29_08-58-30

Hang on a minute, what's these....

2018-08-29_09-25-37

Oops.....should have put them in before glueing and taping everything up.....ah well I'm sure I can bend em into place....I'm sure that's how they fit them on the real thing...lol

Yup perfect....well near enough for me

2018-08-29_08-57-53

So that's it for tonight.....

2018-08-29_08-55-31

Oh I fitted the centre wing section as well, don't think they look too bad, but you really do need at least 4 hands to put them together...lol

Hmmmm.....next job is trying to fit the photoetch stringing, but first it has to be cut out, as mentioned earlier the supplied photo etch is super tough to cut off the spru.....I have a cunning plan !.

First stop collect the appropriate PPE from the stores......

2018-08-29_08-55-15

And break out the spinning wheel of destruction !

2018-08-29_08-57-30

He,he,he.....what could possibly go wrong.....

2018-08-29_08-57-01

Absolutely nothing ! What a cracking tool for cutting the pieces out and cleaning up the burrs.....

And that really is for it for tonight....

Hope I've not bored you with the photos, hopefully more to follow if you can stand it !

Alan

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, KelT said:

Looking good. I hope I don't have to buy one of those things to get the PE off.

Hi KelT

It's really thick, I tried using a blade and all it was doing was breaking the blades, with the pieces being so long and thin thought if I tried some cutters it may kink the pieces so nothing left in the arsenal but to break out the big guns....lol

Alan

She looks ace. The Flory looks good aaaand the oil wash. 🤩 did you try cutting the PE parts with a blade on something like an old CD. I use a tile sample. Terrified me when I saw that spinning wheel o f doom. But hey whatever blows yer hair back. 😀 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She looks ace. The Flory looks good aaaand the oil wash. 🤩 did you try cutting the PE parts with a blade on something like an old CD. I use a tile sample. Terrified me when I saw that spinning wheel o f doom. But hey whatever blows yer hair back. 😀 

Thanks for the kind words 😀👍.

Yeah tried cutting on a piece of 25mm thick perspex and on a granite tile but its so thick !(will try to measure it later for fun), spinning wheel of doom is not so bad its variable speed so as long as you keep it off 11 😉 its quite manageable...lol

Edit

Eduardo photoetch

2018-09-01_06-28-32

Trumpeter photoetch

2018-09-01_06-28-54

3 times as thick !, told you it was tough...lol

Edited by Quietstorm7
Add photos
  • Haha 1

Hi chaps, 

Today's thrilling installment.....

In good news my swear box is overflowing that's to the photo etch......lol

Bad news it took me about 3 hours of fighting to get 12 bits of photo etch to finally go where I wanted them.

Instructions seem to say to fit them to the wings before attaching them onto the plane.....tried this and just not happening, wings seem to have too much flex in them and just as think you have a piece on place and reach for the glue.....ping off it goes across the room....grrrrr.

So decided to glue the wings in place then try the photoetch, still very challenging but I got there in the end after much swearing and throwing things around...lol (my Mrs was laughing as she said 'I thought you started making models to relax?')

Anyhoo.....

It verked, we has vings !

And the stringbag has photoetch rigging....yipeeee !

2018-09-01_03-50-08

2018-09-01_03-50-48

2018-09-01_03-51-17

2018-09-01_03-52-21

Getting there now.....torpedo and rack still to do, and prop, machine gun and aerials etc.

Then might do a few touchups and drybrushing.

Bye for now 

Alan

• Like 9

The rigging looks great, your troubles are not doing anything to ease my own concerns but your eventual success does give me hope. I shall have to get back to my build sometime soon, I seem to have taken a little unplanned break. You're pretty close to an RFI thread by the looks of things, I'm looking forward to seeing her complete.

• Like 1