Fairey Swordfish Mk 1 -Trumpeter 1/32

Greetings chaps,

First attempt at a wingy thing for many years and first attempt at a work in progress so forgive me any mistakes. First one being I've already done quite abit of the build before I've plucked up courage to post !

2018-08-07_08-20-03

20180807_201149

Interior and engine are assembled, painted and fitted, body is sealed and any gaps sealed, thought I'd give it a blast of primer next and see how it looks ?.

Not sure if I should attach the supports or photo etch struts to the wings before painting ?

Need to mask the lights off on the wings too before I prime the wings !

20180807_201224

Really enjoying the build so far, and the kit does not seem to be fighting me too much, just nervous of starting painting it !, let alone weathering it....gulp !

Any hints tips or suggestions greatly received !

Thanks,

Alan

• Like 9

Hi guys,

Managed to get a little more done tonight, some pieces of what seems to be the toughest photo etch in the world were added and the lamps in the wings got masked, hopefully not long now till I get some paint on !

Alan

2018-08-08_08-34-28

2018-08-08_08-34-03

2018-08-08_08-31-11

• Like 8

Hi Alan,

Trumpeter made a mistake with the horizontal etch on the upper surface of the lower main planes. They confused walkway markings with rigging.  The rigging you've applied in this area is fictitious (should be walkways). 

Better that you know now, rather than after you've painted. 

HTH

IG

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 9:58 PM, iang said:

Hi Alan,

Trumpeter made a mistake with the horizontal etch on the upper surface of the lower main planes. They confused walkway markings with rigging.  The rigging you've applied in this area is fictitious (should be walkways). 

Better that you know now, rather than after you've painted. 

HTH

IG

Thanks for that

I've superglued them on ! Is there any way to unglue superglue without damaging the plastic ? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quietstorm7 said:

Thanks for that

I've superglued them on ! Is there any way to unglue superglue without damaging the plastic ? 

Normally, I just run a scalpel blade under the PE and lift it away. I'm then usually left with the dried glue on the plastic which I remove with a fine sanding stick, so that the plastic isn't damaged too much.

Hope that makes sense...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi

I also read recently that placing the part in a bag and leaving it overnight in the freezer will cause the superglue to go brittle and make it easier to break the bond. I never got to test the theory since it would have meant putting the whole model in the freezer for me and every bond would have been loosened but it I read it in several places and it sounded feasible.

• Like 1

Latest update guys, managed to get the metal strips of the wings, brute force is a wonderful thing...lol

2018-08-10_11-20-47

And a few photo's here of the interior for KelT, sorry they are not great but might give you an idea ?

2018-08-10_11-21-07

2018-08-10_11-21-26

2018-08-10_11-23-16

2018-08-10_11-22-23

Cheers for now 

Alan

• Like 6

Well done with those strips, I always mix my brute force 50:70 with ignorance.

Your interior is beautifully done, I hope I can produce something near as good. Thanks for the pics, they help me visualize what might be visible with the transparent side too.

Hi guys,

Started painting earlier today, first lesson 1/32 scale takes ALOT of paint.....lol, never used so much !.

Decided to put some light coats on to begin with and build them up slowly

2018-08-11_02-43-35

Wing at top of this photo has had 1 coat, the one at the bottom just has the shadow lines on it

2018-08-11_02-44-01

I coat on everything in this shot.

2018-08-11_02-44-25

Two coats on in thos shot, still needs some more.....

2018-08-11_03-04-52

Three coats on now....and I like the look at this point can still see some of the dark details underneath and I'm thinking of maybe trying some oil effects to add highlights and variation ?

2018-08-11_02-45-40

Really pleased with the fuselage for a first attempt going to leave this a day to dry then see how it looks, if I'm still happy I'll mask up and start the camoflage on the tops of the wings and fuselage...

TaTa for now

Alan

• Like 7

Excellent job so far.

I've got a Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish that I'd like to build because my granddad worked on them during the war. But every time it works it's way to the top of the pile, I lose my nerve and it gets tucked back at the bottom again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is looking great, I always fancied building one and I do have one in the stash but just the thought of rigging it frightens me to death.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gorby said:

Excellent job so far.

I've got a Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish that I'd like to build because my granddad worked on them during the war. But every time it works it's way to the top of the pile, I lose my nerve and it gets tucked back at the bottom again.

Thanks for that, I'm enjoying the build so far but nervous of final assembly !

• Like 2

Morning chaps,

Managed to get the tail painted to remedy my mistake, think it matches the rest quite well

2018-08-12_01-16-12

The following is the colour scheme I'm heading for if all goes to plan.

2018-08-12_01-16-49

Tooele pip for now, off to make Yorkshire puddings.....yum yum 😋

Alan

• Like 6

Evening gents,

Managed to get some masking done tonight, fiddly blighter !, but got there eventually.

2018-08-13_10-29-10

Fancy wavy tape as well .....lol

2018-08-13_10-29-30

And the bottom sides of the wings covered.

Ok lets thow some grey onto it to get things started....

2018-08-13_10-30-39

Will see how it dries tomorrow and if I think it needs any more I'll hit it again

2018-08-13_10-30-23

Really don't want to over do it !

Off to bed now, nighty night.

Alan

• Like 6

Looking good. It looks a lot quicker using an airbrush than I imagine it's going to be hand brushing but I am looking forward to the challenge of the final painting. Most of my fuselage will be spray painted thankfully so just the camouflage with need brushing.

As you mentioned earlier though I'm already seeing just how much more paint something in this scale requires and masking tape it seems.

• Like 1

Yes lots of paint and masking tape !, takes quite a while even with an airbrush the grey I put on last night took about 90 minutes to build the layers up.

Hope fully get some green on tonight as the grey looked ok when I had a look at it this morning.

Not sure if I should mask onto the grey and make the camouflage hard edged or airbrush it free hand and get a soft edge ?

Bye for now

Alan

• Like 1

For any future need to remove/debond cyano glues, go to the beauty section of whatever is the closest store to you and buy a bottle of fingernail polish remover. Get the stuff that contains acetone. It must contain acetone to work. It's handy to have around should you glue your fingers together or to something else. Ask me how I know!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok guys,

Wifey was out tonight so on with the green paint !

Before

2018-08-14_09-15-19

After ! Yippee !

2018-08-14_09-16-11

Couldn't wait to take the masking off...lol, and have to say I'm delighted !, was nervous I'd not pressed it down enough and that the liquid mask wouldn't work but it all seemed to work out ....

2018-08-14_09-19-00

2018-08-14_09-18-28

And I can see the engine again....yay !

2018-08-14_09-17-54

Need to think about what's next ?

Toodle pip !

Alan

• Like 7