WWII aircraft wingtips Nav lights ??

Mancunian airman

I wonder if anybody can give a definitive answer to this question.

Did wartime aircraft such as the Halifax and Lancaster have coloured RED/GREEN lenses or was there a choice of coloured BULBs ???

I believe the tail ID colour was White, again a lense or a coloured bulb ?

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

I think you’ll find “it depends”. 

Some aircraft had colored fairings over clear bulbs, whereas some had clear lenses over colored bulbs. Some used a yellow bulb under a blue lense to produce a green light when lit. 

It would be best to ask about a specific aircraft to get a specific answer. 

5 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Okay

That would be the Lancaster . . . . .

AFAIK, British types have clear covers and coloured bulbs

For the Lanc specifically

just visible here

15360443002_635536ab52_o.jpg50 Sqn. Lancaster, 1942. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

8498937541_9f3f7a5b73_o.jpgLancaster    1946. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from @Etiennedup  great Flickr

the rest of the Lanc pics are here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=lancaster

• Thanks 1

in the Army Navy catalog of electric accessories, all bulb are clear and the cover(or lens) is coloured(P51...), then this assembly is sometime under a clear fairing.(P47...it's probably the case of Mosquito, Lancaster...)
The clear bulbs are universal and could be used on any navigation light.
On the Spit, the upward identification light had a clear bulb under a clear fairing but a red or green cover could be fitted  for signalling purposes because there was not coloured bulb.

• Confused 1

From the point of view of spares, the outer transparent covers are handed and as both need stocking they might as well be individually coloured, and then a single colour bulb is required.  Compared with two separate covers and two separate bulbs,  this reduces spares stocks and hence cost.  How long it took the services to realise this I don't know, but from the above evidence it seems not immediately.

That is US practice,  does not mean it was British practice, the photo of the Lanc shows a clear cover.

not found any close up Lanc wingtip pics online.

But note here is the Hurricane preserved in Finland,  unrestored

clear cover, coloured bulb

013453.jpg&key=9386b8fdb4f8ad73fa62fac77

from

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BS_w said:

on Hurricane, under the clear fairing , what is green coloured is the cover which is over the filament lamp(bulb)

That's a great bit of detail.

But, what I took the was that OP @Mancunian airman was asking a question from a modelling perspective,  are the outer covers clear or tinted?, and from what I can observe of British WW2 types,  the external covers are clear, and there is a bulb with coloured cover, as shown by the hurricane pic.

So from a modelling perspective it's a coloured bulb under a clear cover,  and I hope I'm reading @Mancunian airman correctly here.  If i'm wrong perhaps he may like to clarify the query.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with you. The modeller don't need to know how was the navigation light exactly, but enough to made it on his model
Examples
Spit: filament lamp/coloured cover
Hurri, Lanc, Mossie...: filament lamp/coloured cover/clear fairing
Seafire(late models): filament lamp/coloured fairing

Edited by BS_w
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

That's a great bit of detail.

But, what I took the was that OP @Mancunian airman was asking a question from a modelling perspective,  are the outer covers clear or tinted?, and from what I can observe of British WW2 types,  the external covers are clear, and there is a bulb with coloured cover, as shown by the hurricane pic.

So from a modelling perspective it's a coloured bulb under a clear cover,  and I hope I'm reading @Mancunian airman correctly here.  If i'm wrong perhaps he may like to clarify the query.

cheers

T

Troy

You have understood me correctly.

Nothing wrong with detail but I think the question has been answered.

31 minutes ago, BS_w said:

Yes, I agree with you. The modeller don't need to know how was the navigation light exactly, but enough to made it on his model
Examples
Spit: filament lamp/coloured cover
Hurri, Lanc, Mossie...: filament lamp/coloured cover/clear fairing
Seafire(late models): filament lamp/coloured fairing

As I understand it now, the Lancaster had a clear bulb, covered with a colour filter & contained within a clear lens

many thanks

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1