1/72 Westland Trio - First WiP in a LONG time

And we have an RFI!

Not sure what to make next, I've still got the Wessex to build, however, I would like to build a 1/48 Whirlwind (fixed wing) to take to work, but I'd also like to scratch build either a Grob Astir or Standard Cirrus (keen to get back gliding!).

What do you guys think I should make next?

• 1/72 Wessex
  • 1/48 Whirlwind cannon fighter
  • 1/?? Glider (possible scratch build - might need a 3D printer first!)

Can't work out how to create a poll.... (if I even can)

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow, it's been over 6 months since I've posted here.

Life got in the way (as it does!) And I've been very busy at work designing a new aircraft :D

The good news is, I've been too busy to be modelling because I bought myself my first house - complete with a garage plus one room dedicated to my flight simulator (and my bikes!) And another room with an arts and crafts desk for me and the other half.

I've been doing bits and pieces of work on the Wessex but haven't posted here. Anyway, you join the build with the fuselage together getting ready to mask and spray the yellow top side of the Wessex - only problem is I realised I used extra dark sea grey not RAF Blue Grey, so I'm waiting for some new paint to arrive.

IMG_20190806_174235

• Like 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Good to see you back on the ball again

I don't suppose you have any 1/72 scale drawings around for the Wildcat at all do you?

I quite fancy a Wildcat soon...

I've got an Airfix Spitfire XIV on the go now whilst I'm waiting for paint :)

Unfortunately not, there are plenty online which seem ok. I've got access to 1:1 CAD models and engineering drawings of the AW159, not sure my employer would be happy if I shared them though!

I'd love an AW159 too, particularly in 1/48 scale! Someone on here did a fantastic conversion though (was it ex-wafuu or maybe Lynx?).

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1

So here's how my Wessex is coming along - I painted the blue grey around the top half of the fuselage before masking and spraying some halfords rattle can yellow that looks about right!

IMG_20190809_084530

IMG_20190809_072723

I think it looks ok!

Ben

• Like 3

Getting close!

I realised the yellow/grey transition was in the wrong place according to the italeri paint schemes, so I repainted it a bit.

I've added all the bits and pieces now and painted the lot, still need to add the radome and wheels.

IMG_20190809_195210

Ben

• Like 2

Decals on!

IMG_20190810_175840

Matt spray and weathered :) Really disappointed with how the weathering looks like through my phone camera, in reality its subtle and I think it looks rather good 😕

IMG_20190810_175818

Just the main rotors and wheels to go now.

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 4

On 8/9/2019 at 8:54 AM, wellsprop said:

So here's how my Wessex is coming along - I painted the blue grey around the top half of the fuselage before masking and spraying some halfords rattle can yellow that looks about right!

I think it looks ok!

Ben

Thet yellow looks great. Which Halfords  one was it?

Clive.

Minor problem

The walkway decals on the ventilated turtleback should fit the main body but they do not climb up the side of the fairing

They should fit where the line curves down to the opening panel edge

But that is minor, the Wessex looks very good and we do need to know which rattle can colour you used

For future reference

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dad's lad said:

Thet yellow looks great. Which Halfords  one was it?

Clive.

Rover Inca Yellow, I was happily surprised that it seems the perfect match for the outside yellow band around RAF WWII roundels, as well as the yellow leading edges and prop tips - I've always found that Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow is just too yellow.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Minor problem

The walkway decals on the ventilated turtleback should fit the main body but they do not climb up the side of the fairing

They should fit where the line curves down to the opening panel edge

But that is minor, the Wessex looks very good and we do need to know which rattle can colour you used

For future reference

I thought something didn't look right on the paint scheme with those decals! Oops!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...