Special Duties Mosquito FB.35

In early 1944, Norwegian resistance reported that the Germans had set up a rocket fuel plant for their new wonder weapon, which, if allowed to be deployed, could devastate troops landing during the planned invasion.
As this was, at the time, the only place the fuel was being manufactured, it was imperative that it be destroyed as soon as possible.
The only issue being its location, at the base of a cliff in the end of a Fjord.
One of the top Mosquito squadrons was chosen to carry out the job, but they only had 17 days to train.
After intense training, and some unfortunate losses, the raid took place, resulting in, not only the destruction of the factory, but, unfortunately, the loss of the entire squadron.
In honour of their sacrifice, I have built a replica of their aircraft.
633 Sqn Mosquito.

42056756190_599ce1f0e3_z.jpg633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

29995650868_9decfd8613_z.jpg633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

42961137095_86bc97b30c_z.jpg633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

42961137055_77c1162c1a_z.jpg633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

28928734857_17b519e1b1_z.jpg633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

43816824372_5d037d74dc_z.jpg633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

For those of you who haven't yet twigged, or don't know, "633 Sqn" is a movie, made in the 60's about a fictitious raid.  The aircraft used were ex-RAF TT.35s, repainted with guns stuck on the Perspex bomb aimers nose.

The plane was based on the Airfix Mosssie PRXVIXXIVVI, whatever it is, lol
This represented the quickest and easiest method, as it has the right engines and a bulged bomb bay.   The "guns" were fitted to the painted over nose, and decals found in my spares.
Of course, I had to watch the movie a couple of times for "research"

• Like 41
  • Haha 3

Wonderfull model! :goodjob:

I'm glad I read your article to the end - I was just about to ask for the specifications on this Mosquito version, when I read that it represents a movie-bird. 

It's actually fairly embarrassing as I actually have this movie in my collection! :oops:

Cheers :goodjob:

Hans J

• Haha 2

Wonderful build!

Yes! A very interesting Squadron history there. I seem to recall one of the training losses had a happy outcome as the pilot survived flying into the side of a mountain and post war opened a lingerie factory in the greater Manchester area. I also understand that one of the navigators ended up working as a chef in a Birmingham motel despite being killed by guards at Stalag Luft III a year before his participation in 633 Squadron's daring Fjord raid. He was also awarded the CPM (Cycling Proficiency Medal) with Ballcock and Cluster for pulling his C.O. from the burning wreck of his Mosquito after the raid. Top Chap.

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Well, I was totally taken in by the history lesson - until I read the exposé under the pictures!

Having said that, it's a totally convincing model in any case.

Nice work.

I must keep an eye out for the movie.

:goodjob:

• Like 2

I remember being driven past Bovingdon while they were filming. Saw the three Mossies taking off in formation.  How long before I can see that again????

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...