Bristol Fighter F.2B

Great build and great thread Mike. This Brisfit has come up a treat and it’s good to see it finished with a little time still left to run (although I know you’ve still got a few others). 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the WW1 club - now you are a real modeller! 😉

The rigging is vital to give the wings structural strength - just as they did in reality. Its best to add rigging in matched pairs on each side rather than doing one wing then the other, especially if you are applying tension. Done right and it will all be rock solid - a jig is worth the investment if you are going to do a few builds. The puzzle of how to get the order of painting, rigging, sanding and decaling right is part of the fun - though TBH I wouldn't recommend anybody to make their first rig job a Brisfit.

Could be worse though - that Staaken. Tip: get aftermaket decals. Roden's are pretty to look at but are not intended for actual use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a great result Mike. I remember building this along with a DR.1 as part of a dogfight double kit, I didn't rig them in those days though. Well done on completing this one bud. :thumbsup:

Many thanks, John - I'll keep practicing the rigging (aiming for the excellent result you got on the Avro 504). The rigging really does add something extra to these little biplanes.

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

BRILLIANT RESULT IN A BRILLIANT GB

WELL DONE VENTORA

... not exactly subtle - but what a lot of us feel - :goodjob:

Many thanks, Steve. That poor little Bristol got a real bashing there in the process and the next biplane will benefit, I think. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great build and great thread Mike. This Brisfit has come up a treat and it’s good to see it finished with a little time still left to run (although I know you’ve still got a few others). 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Many thanks, Dave. I did enjoy it but the rigging/finishing is definitely a great skill that I can see others doing much better so room for improvement there, It was definitely time to put it down and move on. I just love this modelling, though. Let's crack on. All the best. Mike.

13 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Welcome to the WW1 club - now you are a real modeller! 😉

The rigging is vital to give the wings structural strength - just as they did in reality. Its best to add rigging in matched pairs on each side rather than doing one wing then the other, especially if you are applying tension. Done right and it will all be rock solid - a jig is worth the investment if you are going to do a few builds. The puzzle of how to get the order of painting, rigging, sanding and decaling right is part of the fun - though TBH I wouldn't recommend anybody to make their first rig job a Brisfit.

Could be worse though - that Staaken. Tip: get aftermaket decals. Roden's are pretty to look at but are not intended for actual use.

Yes and thank you, TBJ. It did feel like a bit of a 'rite of passage' and I think after the trials and tribulations, the order of build is much clearer to me now. I fancy doing a single bay biplane in the near future before I forget, just to get it right second time. I'll do that Stakken one day, I promise! (how long have you got?)

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Fantastic end result Mike! Top job fella! 👍

Many thanks, Ian, you are too kind! That was stretching my comfort zone again but I'm still smiling so not too much damage done! Keep up the good work on your build. All the best. Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3