F-14D VF101 (2004ish) stencils?

BikingLampy

I've finally reached the decaling stage with my build of a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14D. I'm going for a VF101 Aircraft - no 165 BUNO 164345 and using the Fightertown decal set (which are lovely to use btw!)

According to the (slightly limited) info given, this particular plane has very few stencils on the upper and lower surfaces - typically the "no step" text etc. However there's a good few inconsistencies -v- the pics I can find online of this airframe - according to the instructions, there's no "A D" lettering on the inside of the rudders (blatantly visible on the pics), and there are walkways on the air intakes shown, which don't exist on the (rather tired) real thing - although you can see where they were. I can't find high enough resolution images to make a call about the stencils, as its all grey on grey, but there's another decal sheet (from DMXdecal) for the same airframe which says to use the full works. Personally I'm not sure why, even on an end-of-life plane (as these I believe were) you wouldn't have safety critical markings?

Thoughts? Happy to not apply half a hundred tiny decals, but I'd rather do it right than easy...

Thanks,

BL

Yes thats true. 

One of these in the final tactical scheme also didn’t carry any vf-101’s on its ventrals so thats not surprising. 

I too have the DXM sheet which gives & shows full no step stencils etc. (That sheet is too light to look correct anyways but that’s another story)

In the Daco tomcat book there are some of these tps vf101 D’s in the strip down and maintainance section with some good close ups - there doesn’t appear to be any ‘no steps’ or the like. 

If I was building one of these jets - 155/160/165 etc I would go for main markings and rescue/intake stencils only, adjusted with weathering to suit the best pics available of that particular airframe. 

Tony. 

Thanks Tony.

I'll proceed on the basis of less is more. I'll admit the weathering is worrying me a little as I've never done anything like that before. This is a kit I started (badly!) 20 odd years ago, and its taken me a year to resurrect to this stage and I don't want to bollix it all up at the final hurdle, but equally the dilapidation is such a feature of the real thing...!

BL