New American Airlines Colour

Hello, wanted to ask if anyone can help me. I’m looking to build an American Airlines 777-300ER but struggling with what ‘Grey/Silver’ to paint it. Has anyone found one that fits, as I was thinking of painting it Revell 371 but that seems too Grey and not got the ‘silvery’ look to it.

I've never done the scheme myself but you're probably looking at a pale grey oversprayed with a pearlescent coat of some kind. Something like Xtracolor Canadian Voodoo Gray and one of their Mica finishes might work.  If you're into rattle cans Holts HLGrey 01 overcoated with Tamiya TS-65 might be a possibility.  

The best advice I can give is to take an old scrap model (or knock together a cheap kit) plus lots of photos of the American livery under different lighting conditions and play around with different paints until you find a combination that you're happy with before you tackle the 777.

This might help although it concentrates (if that's the right word) on building rather than painting and the AA livery is certainly not plain grey.  Overcoating the Tamiya grey he uses with TS-65 would be a big improvement

HTH 

Dave G

• Like 1

Hello Dave, many thanks for your advice. I like the idea of the Canadian Voodoo Grey with a mica 2 pearlescent overcoat. It’s such an awakward colour to get right. 

I agree with you about the post you put on, that ‘grey’ seems too dark and not got the ‘metallic’ shine that the new AA seems to have in various lights. 

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Hayden Northcott said:

Hi Dave,

I'm liking the tip on using Tamiya TS-65 to give a colour a pearl finish.
That might open up some possibilities! 

Just be careful what you spray it over. I have only ever used it with other Tamiya aerosol paint. I'm reasonably confident it would work with automotive paint but definitely not enamel and probably not water-based acrylic. Please read (or re-read!) the middle paragraph of my post dated 7 August 2018.

Dave G

• Like 1