55 D-Jaguar Scratch build in Ebony

On 15/09/2018 at 23:23, albergman said:

Thanks guys.   Appreciate the interest.   Afraid I've kinda run out of steam on this one as summer chores out in the gardens and lawns have taken priority.   Cooler weather is on the way though and I hope to get back to it .... although, to be honest, I've already set my sights on a new car project and I might just make a start on that!    Surely I'm allowed to have two projects on the go at once??

Don’t you dare give up on this one Albergman! 😱

Looking at what you have done so far I thought you would be all fired up to finish it off. It’s looking great! 👍👍👍

On 10/3/2018 at 7:31 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Don’t you dare give up on this one Albergman! 😱

Looking at what you have done so far I thought you would be all fired up to finish it off. It’s looking great! 👍👍👍

Steve/Pascal

Thanks guys.   I probably won't give up on it ... just set it aside for a while.   To be honest I'm really in a slump after last weekend when I took the Maserati 250F (and some others) to a show and would you believe it ... my carry-case fell open as I walked back to my car after the event.   Out fell the Maser and the padauk/ebony Ferrari 375 MM!!    Maser broke off both front wheels, took a chip out of the nose and the steering tie-rod between the 2 wheels disappeared entirely.   The Ferrari lost a wheel and got scraped.   Needless to say I'm pretty bummed out about it and can't bear to look at either car.

Frank

• Sad 3

Oh dear. That is a right pain. Sorry to hear of this accident. Still, just remember this - at least as a general rule - if you can make it you can fix it! And you made all of these. 👍

am looking forward to seeing you back at your bench, when you are ready.

• Like 2

Same here, sorry to hear about the accident, but if there's someone that can fix the damage : it's you.

Best of luck mate, hope to see more updates soon.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 2

Small update.   

Got back at it for a couple of hours today and got a few tasks completed.    Cut and shaped some fine ebony to make the mounting bracket for the windscreen.    Then I hogged out all the excess wood that was in the cockpit to make room for the driver seat.   Lastly I shaped a panel that will become the passenger side cover.   Decided to brush on yet another coat of shellac as part of my progress towards filling all the tiny pinholes that seem to bo in ebony.  Anyone who's tried to fill in holes with paint will know how frustratingly slow this process is!

Still trying to decide how much detail to put on/leave off this one and it's hard because as the shape gets near completion I'm more enthusiastic about it and think it's so elegant in its purest, uncluttered shape.   Those of you who are familiar with some of my other wooden models will know I like to try and capture the essence and beauty of some of the older racing machines and usually leave them uncluttered with details.

So, no pictures of me cutting tiny bits of wood or using a Dremel bit to hack out the cavity for the cockpit ... not very interesting anyway.

I do love the look of wood when a finish is applied and each time I brush on a coat it makes me smile.   

Here's a few shots of where I'm at.   Thanks for looking in.

Frank

(this is the first finish coat on the passenger side cover so ... still rough.

45161986042_2143eb4995_c.jpg

44490734074_7bdcbf672a_c.jpg

31338542828_957823ee1d_c.jpg

• Like 6

You've captured the lines superbly, it is looking fantastic. I'm quite tempted to try carving a car next, you make it look too easy! (Not really :) !)

Keep at it - it'll look amazing when it's on its wheels. 

Are you planning a doing an accurate suspension setup, or is that getting too cluttered?

9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Good to see you back 🙂 .... I agree with you, it's all about shape and it's starting to look beautiful already.

7 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Well, Frank, it's certainly making me smile!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Nice job, sir!

Cheers, H

6 hours ago, Redshift said:

You've captured the lines superbly, it is looking fantastic. I'm quite tempted to try carving a car next, you make it look too easy! (Not really :) !)

Keep at it - it'll look amazing when it's on its wheels. 

Are you planning a doing an accurate suspension setup, or is that getting too cluttered?

Thanks guys.   It sure is a wonderful shape and just a bit sleeker than the short nose although I do prefer the headrest shape they used on the short nose.   Don't know why they went so bloated on this one.

Re: a suspension ... NO, not this time Redshift.   None of it would be seen anyway after all the work involved so I never do that for closed wheel models.

Meant to include a couple of shots of the underside.    I decided to make a floor pan for it which will hide a lot of the ugliness under there.   This I've been making up from scraps  of ebony glued up to the size as I don't want to waste valuable wood for this.   Still at a rough stage yet.

44503698684_7aa7b30a56_z.jpg

The other big step forward was hollowing out all 4 wheel wells (?) to make room for the wheels.

45225808261_289340228a_z.jpg

This was done using a burr tip on my Dremel flex shaft.   VERY delicate operation as the wood has to be removed almost down the the thickness of the bodywork just to get the wheel in there!   At times I could start to feel the burr tip right through the outside of the wood.   

Frank

• Like 4

OK, getting near the end on this one.   I made the executive decision to turn it into more of a sculpture than go the other direction with panel lines, vents and a full cockpit with plexi screen.   To be honest it was mostly out of laziness and a fear that trying to make the requisite number of bonnet vents would not end well.   But I really think this car is a perfect candidate for the minimalist treatment.    

So ... that meant prying off my newly made cockpit trim, filling in the gap around the passenger seat cover panel and finding a large enough piece of wood to make a windscreen.

Initially I thought mahogany would look good here and, after trying 5 different ones, decided "nah", got to be ebony.

Here's a shot of my attempts at various woods ... mahogany and padauk mostly ...

45476696241_0ea8931477_c.jpg

The one that came closest to what I wanted was this mahogany one and I started to remove wood from inside it in order to leave a thin wooden screen. 

30536568267_2486f71c4e_z.jpg

I got so far as a coat of shellac before I decided I didn't want two different woods and made a 6th in ebony.   So, back to the saw and sander and I got a good fitting cockpit "block" in ebony.  It looks very dull when unfinished and only comes to life with a coat of shellac.

43659194440_52b74e7d45_z.jpg

Here I've just about finished fairing it to the headrest and also faired in the passenger side cover.

43659184550_306291356f_z.jpg

Took this shot as I was wet sanding it for the umpteenth time.   I buy these cheap fingernail sanding blocks and strip the material off them before wrapping them in wet/dry papers of various grades.   They're a lovely firmness and great for my sanding purposes.

31602135418_304987d683_c.jpg

Next is a seemingly endless process of brushing on shellac/let it dry for a day/sand it out/repeat till no flaws remain.   Well, we won't examine the "no flaws" too closely!

I'm now, finally, at the spray lacquer stage and just today got the first coat on.   It's absolutely magical what happens to ebony at this stage.

I have to wait for this to harden up ... maybe 2 days on top of my hot water tank before wet sanding it out.   It's a bit orange-peel-ey but that'll rub out easily with 1000 wet paper.

45476656651_ec08d1b398_c.jpg

45477134301_8ae46f7bf8_c.jpg

So that just about wraps it up.   When I get the finish to where I'm happy I'll fit the wheels and show it on the "Finished" section.

Thanks for tagging along and for your support.    A word of advice ... never try to make a model entirely of ebony!!    Use it sparingly.

Frank

Edited by albergman
missed a picture
  • Like 7