“RUN, RABBIT, ... RUN !”

Hello Everybody ... Jumping in with my kit. Its the 352nd Fg. Boxing. I will add photo’s of the box and sprues later when I get up to my office. I will be doing a 20th Fg. Mustang with the B/W Railroad tracks on the nose. It will actually just be a miniature of my 1/24th scale Airfix mustang. 

Dennis  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Ok so here are the obligatory box and sprue photos.  

c1qVIPG.jpg

zWLYziR.jpg

y5i5KTn.jpg

zSZrXEW.jpg

And finally its 1/24 scale older brother. 

vwwTcwp.jpg

I dont have any decals for anything other than stars & bars and stencils just like when I built that ⬆️. I will paint it all using masks i make. If all else fails i will fall back and do Maj. John D. Landers “Big, Beautiful, Doll” from when it had the Yellow nose in may of 1945. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Thanks @hammett98 ...It should go ok. I've done it before just need to scale ⬆️ that down from 1/24th to 1/72nd. It will help check off my 20th for my project and thats all that im really worried about. The P-47 in that group build will check off one of those boxes as well. 

Dennis 

Hello Everybody ... I tried to find an answer to this question. Is this build subject to the 25% rule ? I posted it in the chat section at the top of the build. Im presuming that it must be ok. I’ve not seen anything, nor have i been told i couldn't start. I started last night by filling the panel lines in the wings of my mustang. Thats all I've done so far, so should easily fall under the 25% rule. By my figuring its 19:45 or 7:45 pm in the U.K.. I will be able to start in about 4.5 hours. Looking forward to this. See you after the Starting 🔫. 😉

Dennis

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Everybody ... I tried to find an answer to this question. Is this build subject to the 25% rule ? I posted it in the chat section at the top of the build. Im presuming that it must be ok. I’ve not seen anything, nor have i been told i couldn't start. I started last night by filling the panel lines in the wings of my mustang. Thats all I've done so far, so should easily fall under the 25% rule. By my figuring its 19:45 or 7:45 pm in the U.K.. I will be able to start in about 4.5 hours. Looking forward to this. See you after the Starting 🔫. 😉

Dennis

Ahhhhh.... I'm calling a definite unfair advantage here! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

Hello everybody ... By my clock it is now 1 hour into the 11th day of August. So I think that means I can start. I was able to putty up the panel lines on the wings today. 

I sanded these down tonight and this is what I have. 

w6JIpvt.jpg

I then started the painting. 

iOxha5g.jpg

Cockpit and other internals. 

vetg5f8.jpg

Jl0d3He.jpg

Thats where im at tonight. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice start dude.  Why have you filled in some of the panel lines on the wings?

I see that @Troy Smith answered the question. Thanks Troy for posting the link.

Hello @Robert Stuart ... I didn't use to putty the wings. But after I rebuilt the 1/24 Airfix one. The Mustang that im now downsizing. I realized it would’ve looked better with the wings smooth. I understand not all P-51’s were puttied. and on some the putty eventually was removed. Either from maintenance or wear/tear over time. As i build all 16 aircraft for this project. Specifically the 11 Mustangs i plan on showing the different variations of the wings. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone ... So the Airfix mustang in my opinion is probably one of the best if not top 2 Mustang kits that I’ve ever built. I’ve built well over a dozen from more than half a dozen manufacturers over 39 years. My only issue is the soft plastic, i knew this going in so have built & treated the kit knowing this issue. 

Todays update finds us with almost a fully built mustang. These things go together quick.

ULSDQ9B.jpg

I was able to glue the fuselage and wings with 0 issues. Then i glued both of them together. No filler will be needed on anything. 👍 I also scored the Ailerons and torqued them into position. 

C6qQvSn.jpg

Afterwords I did the same with the horizontal tail.

sJWsSct.jpg

0tDgJY3.jpg

6bwIda7.jpg

Thats where we are as of right now. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

PS - I forgot to post photo’s of the seat earlier. 

T7XeMbl.jpg

OWjs1jF.jpg

• Like 4

Not much to report today just sanding the seams as a doublecheck. Though i did manage to paint the spinner/prop in the 20th’s colors.

1MdXHi9.jpg

Once im sure the seams are all good i will start paint on this. Starting with white for the railroad tracks/piano keys & invasion stripes. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everyone ... I Sprayed the white today, and am in the process of masking it all for the black. Thats a bit of a pain. However here it is with the Railroad tracks. Mind you those verical stripes on the nose are 2mm wide. There are seven on each side of the nose. 

xJY4Bhe.jpg

Port & Starboard done in about 45 minutes. 

1ehfuqV.jpg

Just like the P-47 im building this is Representing an aircraft in late August or very early September.. of ‘44.

N7okXsm.jpg

Therefore the invasion stripes are on the lowers only for both aircraft. I will spray the black on this the T-bolt, & Deuce tomorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 2

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great job with the masking, especially in 1/72 scale.

Hello Craig ... Thanks for the compliment, so far im still sane.  😉 That looked like it was going to be a nightmare when i opted for this scheme. But it only took 45 minutes to mask up the nose. Maybe another 30-40 minutes for the invasion stripes. Im happy with the results. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everyone ... Todays update brings us up to an aluminum airplane. 

V0Xd5SA.jpg

Tomorrow I will spray the O.D. Anti-glare panel, & Dk. Green on the wings and upper fuselage. Sorry for keeping it short folks its been a bad day here at the corsair household. Got some upsetting news via my Dr. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 1