GWH - Focke-Wulf Fw.189 - the wintery version.

This was all in all a good fun build. The engineering is rather strange - but then again it's a rather strange aircraft - so fair dos. 

There's a fairly short WIP thread on this here for those who want it. Kit was painted with rattle cans and brush for interiors and details. Hairspray weathering using - well, hairspray - followed by Citadel white spray primer. This and the decals were all unified with a brushed on layer of Vallejo satin varnish at a 50/50 varnish to water ratio. 

Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

aoOO5gC.jpg

rObiWCO.jpg

yppOEf9.jpg

9TXKYpH.jpg

vgrgfbe.jpg

zUA3fwh.jpg

icpBRpw.jpg

W25XLMK.jpg

• Like 19

• Mike changed the title to GWH - Focke-Wulf Fw.189 - the wintery version.

Ahaha! Now I really like that! Excellent work on the worn winter camo.

Is that the hairspray method, acrylic white scrubbed with a toothbrush, what? Do share your chosen technique! 🤔

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spad said:

Ahaha! Now I really like that! Excellent work on the worn winter camo.

Is that the hairspray method, acrylic white scrubbed with a toothbrush, what? Do share your chosen technique! 🤔

ATB
Rick

8 minutes ago, Lovely Pig said:

Really nice weathering there, I'm interested in your technique also

Thanks! As for the method - 

I painted the splinter camo with rattle cans and masking tape - fairly roughly really as it was going to be mostly obscured. Then I sprayed the whole thing with hairspray. Quite a lot. Until it looks wet. Then let that dry and repeated. On a warm day the hairspray dries extremely fast.

Once that was done I sprayed it all with a rattle can of Citadel white primer. Spraying from the back toward the front so that it was easier to chip on the leading edges. I kept the white coat thin and uneven - so that some splinter camo shows through even without chipping. 

Then - once that's dried (also very fast) I went at it with a few brushes. A hard short bristle one for leading edges, and less tough ones for other areas. Finally - I used a toothpick for scratches around access panels and so on. 

I hope that's some help! 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Great 189, super job on the winter finish, really like the crystal clear canopy and very sharp masking job, excellent work.

Thanks - for the masking I would recommend making your own rather than using the GWH ones if you plan to build this one. Tamiya tape stayed down throughout the whole process - which is a lot of spraying when using rattle cans and hairspray! The kit ones are slightly ill fitting at times, and not sticky enough for a long build. 

cheers!