Mossie for UK skies 2020

Meatbox8

Fantastic news in Aeroplane Monthly.  The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust in association with the Aircraft Restoration Company are to bring a former RNZAF Mosquito T43 to the UK. The aircraft is currently being restored by Avspecs in NZ, which restored the two airworthy examples now in the US, and it is expected to fly in about two years time. 

• Like 7

Good news! However, to call these aircraft "restorations" is to stretch the definition beyond all recognition. My understanding is the wooden fuselage and wings are entirely new build items; as you would expect since who wants to go flying around in a 70-odd year old wooden aicraft. The heritage of the aircraft is traced almost entirely be the data plate with the serial number plus whatever usable metal fittings can be salvaged or scrounged. I'm not opposed to doing this, so long as it doesn't result in the destruction of an original historic airframe in the process, since it has resulted in the resurrection to flying status of a number of types like the Me 262 and Fw 190. I just think the terminology is a bit misleading.

I think that the nature of the glued wooden design makes an original complete airframe prohibitive to airworthy restoration so this is excellent news as it’s been too long since we had a Mossie to admire in our skies

• Like 2

1: 1 scale Mossie ?!😊

13 minutes ago, hairystick said:

Avspecs posted a photo earlier in the week about this. The fuselage halves are about to be joined together by Glynn Powell.

I think it would have been better to have TV959 back here rather than sell it to the US.  But having one airworthy at all over here is a big plus!

PS: Just thought... I might get to see it in NZ as I will be in the area near to the end of my visit.

11 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I might get to see it in NZ as I will be in the area near to the end of my visit.

It might well be worth allowing time for that Paul, I believe Avspecs are quite accommodating to visitors unless things have changed lately

Steve.

22 hours ago, Paul J said:

1: 1 scale Mossie ?!😊

I think it would have been better to have TV959 back here rather than sell it to the US.  But having one airworthy at all over here is a big plus!

PS: Just thought... I might get to see it in NZ as I will be in the area near to the end of my visit.

I'm not too sure how advanced the UK one will be built to. I'm guessing just the bare bones so the rest can be completed in her new home.

Currently the next to come off of the production line is sitting in Avspecs, being fitted out. First flight is due before the end of the year.

I can't wait! :frantic: I've often said that I grew up with the one stationed at Hawarden flying over me weekly or even daily at times, so I've really missed us having one in the air over here.  I shall be attending as many displays as possible that year ^_^

14 hours ago, hairystick said:

I'm guessing just the bare bones so the rest can be completed in her new home.

I'll be interested to watch this, so far Avspecs have only delivered the complete item, the only way they can protect their reputation, but maybe they've got a different deal for the Brit one.

This from the Pathfinder Trust makes it sound as though a completed build will be delivered, as opposed to this one from the Peoplesmosquito which sounds like it will use NZ produced components in a UK based build.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1