Gloster Sea Gladiator N5517/6*A

813(F) NAS, HMS Eagle Mediterranean Jul '40

Flown by Commander CL Keighly-Peach RN

This aircraft was involved in the destruction of a number of enemy aircraft;

11.07.40 S79 Destroyed

13.07.40 SM79 & S79 Destroyed

17.07.40 S79 Destroyed

31.08.40 Z506B Destroyed.

This model has had a long gestation period.  It started well in August '16 but for some reason I just lost mojo with it and it went and sat on the shelf.  Going back to the kit in July '17, after building a Seafire, I had a lot of trouble mounting the upper mainplane and managed to break several struts, back it went onto the shelf of doom awaiting its fate.  Two weeks ago, having completed my Hellcat build for the Carriers Ahoy GB and not wanting to start my next aeroplane (Pacific War GB), I decided to have another crack.  I replaced broken Cabane struts with brass tubing and steel pins and as they say Robert is you mothers brother.  I am still happy to get this off the bench and some of the finishing could have been better but I think if a spend any longer on this model I'll break it again.  In fact I was in such a hurry to get the pictures done that the PVE on the canopy hasn't dried completely clear yet...

In reality it is a good kit and would reward someone with better skills than myself.  At some point I will return to Biplanes, I want to build a Swordfish and Albacore for my collection but I have a number of fighter types to do first.  Oh and a representation of the 64th (2nd London) Division in the Eleventh Hour GB - Me and figurines - gawd help us all....

Thank you to everyone I questioned as to codes, no codes, IFF Black/white etc for you advice and guidance.  I have considered it all and have taken a path, and yes some of the details are debatable but as more research goes on - one day I will revisit my subject.

Now for a couple of pictures..

43167874544_fdc3e5457d_b.jpg

43167874094_516b915355_b.jpg

43885374361_4f7b34c0e5_b.jpg

43167871934_147f544b82_b.jpg

43885375221_ed280e2a55_b.jpg

Now for the arty, atmospheric shots,

43885376001_0603cba1c6_b.jpg

43885373911_125bb192b7_b.jpg

Thanks for stopping by..

• Like 46

1 hour ago, Darby said:

It's got an arrestor hook and it's a Pusser's cab; win, win!

Thanks Darby,

I have the ambition to build build up a collection  of aircraft flown by RN Aces.  It's reasonable along now with most types represented plus a few RAF types for pilots seconded to the RAF.  I'm now going back to fill in the pilots.  I try to fit in with various GBs as I go.  Next up will be a Firefly MkI 1771 NAS HMS Indefatigable April '45 Lt Stott.

• Like 1

I really like that. I admire your perseverance too, I think if I shelved one of mine it would likely be a very deep dark shelf, to keep coming back and giving it another go until I produced a fine looking model such as this is beyond my patience.

I really enjoy and appreciate the background to the aircraft too, it makes them more than just a model.

Great work. My next model is a Swordfish so I hope I can demonstrate some of your skill while building it.

• Like 2

Well done getting it past the finishing post. Looks like a good work house. Roden are not easy builds for sure. I have a Roden He 51 95% done so I know how hard it

is to put that top wing on. Partially when you have a tremor that kept knocking it out of place everytime I had it just right. It is on the shelf until I get some Easyline for the rigging and a moment of calm.

I also did a Italeri Hs123 which I finished a few years ago after a 2 year build. I had to replace the struts on that one as well. The main struts appeared to be short. Now I have the GasPatch Hs 123 to do one day.

That is a fantastic kit. Oh yes I have kits two of your Gladiator. One of them is the Eduard version. I really want to do a Norway battle one and a Malta one. (I have far to many kits and ideas.) Now at least found this forum again 

I'm starting to get things done at last. 

So Well done. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 2

Congrats on getting it the finish line, it looks fine.

I built one of these some time back and remember it was not an easy journey.  Looks good when you get done but your mouth gets tired of being held right while you are doing it.  I made an assembly jig out of basswood sticks as none of the struts were fitting well.  According to my notes I didn't use any of the cabane struts, substituted other material..

0081gladiator.jpg

0091gladiator.jpg

• Like 3

Good looking Sea Gladiator! I have an unbuilt Roden Gladiator in the hoard, so it's good to get advance warning of the hurdles. And jeaton01's elegant jig looks like exactly what the doctor ordered – simple and cheap but effective.

I wonder what you used for rigging material. It looks rather stiff and springy and so, challenging to install in a way that emulates the tautness of the original. Elastic EZ Line might be a more pliable solution to avoid the impression of slack landing and flying 'wires'.

Nice job, per aspera ad astra

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Good looking Sea Gladiator! I have an unbuilt Roden Gladiator in the hoard, so it's good to get advance warning of the hurdles. And jeaton01's elegant jig looks like exactly what the doctor ordered – simple and cheap but effective.

I wonder what you used for rigging material. It looks rather stiff and springy and so, challenging to install in a way that emulates the tautness of the original. Elastic EZ Line might be a more pliable solution to avoid the impression of slack landing and flying 'wires'.

Nice job, per aspera ad astra

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for your kind comments, unfortunately I dont have any EZ Line, I need to get some if I'm going to do more biplanes (which I'm not in a hurry to do).  I have a Walrus in the stash and intime will do a Swordfish & Albacore, so it will be needed but I have to mail order it in.  I used fishing line, not the best solution but I had it handy, and yes it is a pain to try and get taught..

• Like 2

Hello Grey !!

That's a great looking Sea Gladiator !!

Did'nt started mine yet, since it will be a double build, Roden And Ahem Lindberg:bangin:

The Sea Gladiator will be Faith, Hope or Charity... Depending of the unfolding of the build....

The Lindberg one will be an RAF one, That promise to be fun...:evil_laugh:

I really enjoy your collection of FAA aces, it sound great to me !!

Whatever, my Triumph bridge in Korea is about finished since the Firefly is well on her way !

Then Back to Ronnie Hay's Corsair... Your builds are inspiring for me ! Keep carry on !

And thanks again for the Roc plan !

Sincerely.

CC

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Grey !!

That's a great looking Sea Gladiator !!

Did'nt started mine yet, since it will be a double build, Roden And Ahem Lindberg:bangin:

The Sea Gladiator will be Faith, Hope or Charity... Depending of the unfolding of the build....

The Lindberg one will be an RAF one, That promise to be fun...:evil_laugh:

I really enjoy your collection of FAA aces, it sound great to me !!

Whatever, my Triumph bridge in Korea is about finished since the Firefly is well on her way !

Then Back to Ronnie Hay's Corsair... Your builds are inspiring for me ! Keep carry on !

And thanks again for the Roc plan !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC.  The Ronnie Hay Corsair markings from Fundekals are really good and provide you with plenty of spare for you next project.  

My next aeroplane lane project is a Firefly I.  I will do it as part of the Pacific War build.  SLt Stott flying from Indefatigable wad the top scoring Firefly Pilot so his aircraft is my next.  Then it's either a Martlet IV (conversion of the Tamiya kit) or a Hurricane MkI Trop of the Naval Fighter flight based in North Africa...  Not sure yet.

I also need to lash some figures together for the Eleventh Hour GB...

Busy times - good luck with you builds and Thanks again for your kind comments...

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...