• AK Interactive
    • Hannants' Xtracrylix
    • AKAN
    • Testors
    • Citadel
    • Mission Models
    • Mr Color Lacquer Acrylics

2 hours ago, planehazza said:

Mr color is lacquer based, but what about aqueous? 

Yes the mr hobby stuff is the aqueous one - aqua = water and all that. 

Mr Colour is the ‘strong’ one and will not mix in water. 

The mr hobby is the similar one of the two gunze paints to tamiya acrylics, as in an acrylic that thins both with water and thinners. Also can use lacquer type thinners with them (both mr H & tam) to achieve finer detail work but for lefties defeats the object of using a water soluble paint in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, planehazza said:

Mr color is lacquer based, but what about aqueous? 

Aqueous is more or less the Gunze version of Tamiya X and XF series paints, so certainly more an acrylic in the common sense..

Myself, I sort of see four main paint types.

1: Enamels (Humbrol etc)

2: Acrylics (Tamiya, Gunze etc)

3: Lacquers (Mr Color, Tamiya TS aerosols etc)

4: Car paint (Zero, Gravity etc)

These four types of paint are more or less what I use for all my model making needs. I use them according to what I'm painting and dependant on which one suits the job I'm doing best. I never stick to only one type of paint, as different paints have different levels of usefulness in a given situation. I find enamels hand brush very well, as do some of the acrylics. The Mr Color, Tamiya TS sprays and car paints all spray very well, are tough, polish easily and importantly dry very quickly. They suit me most for that reason alone, the dry time is very fast, so I can get more done quickly. Enamels on the other hand are slow drying, no good for when time is of the essence. But when I need to hand paint that small piece that I can't airbrush, they are the best for that purpose. I think if one limits himself to one brand/type of paint, then one limits himself as a modeller. Always experiment and use what works best for the job in hand..

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm having great luck with Tamiya acrylics.  Thinning them 50/50 with X-20A and having better results; Tamiya just seems to work.  Zero clogging at ~20PSI with a 0.2mm needle.  If I drop the pressure then it can clog a little, but I find 20PSI seems to work well.

I can see me ditching vallejo for Tamiya; Vallejo is better value but they have been more faff involved for me.  The mixture rate and need for flow enhancer is too much of a guessing game for me, and they clog way too often for my liking.  None of this with Tamiya.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Murdo said:

I've always liked Tamiya for spraying, not so keen on its brushing abilities though.

Revell Aqua is great for both.

Yeah I can vouch for both tamiya and Vallejo Model Air being poor brushers.  I've noticed Tamiya white to be quite chalky and powdery though. It's as if it's drying too quickly and the over spray dust dries into course grains.  Probably user area, but gloss white is a tpyical colour in tough areas like inside of radomes, LG wheels, and intakes so getting even coverage is impossible. Might infact be due to that, rather than an issue with that colour...